DD-WRT fine in win 2k4 pro but not seeing past router in Backtrack linux?

I have a IBM T23 laptop running dual boot windows 2000 pro sp4 and Backtrack linux. I connect to my WRT54g (v4) router at my brother's house down the street with my Atheros 5212a card. I'm running wep encryption and the router is running DD-WRT v23. My brother has the cable internet connection and we put the router at his place so we could hook up his 2 pc's (wired) and I could share the connection wirelessly.

In windows I can connect easily and surf the net, etc.

In linux I can connect to the router (192.168.1.1) but I can't connect to the internet.

I was thinking that the problem was with Backtrack but I got that to where I can see the router so should'nt it be able to see past the router? Is this a DD-WRT problem?

Ken

Reply to
KG0WX
Loading thread data ...

You might have a DNS problem. Try to connect to an I/P address; e.g; entering http://64.236.29.120 into your browser should connect to CNN.COM.

Reply to
Roby

On 12 Feb 2007 02:15:07 -0800, "KG0WX" wrote in :

Probably a WEP key problem. Re-enter all WEP keys in _hex_ (not ASCII). Also give serious thought to switching to WPA security -- WEP is _not_ secure!

Reply to
John Navas

I will go along with that. I had to change the DNS servers in the "Set IP Address (network config)" to get it to work.

Reply to
Kev

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 16:34:17 +0000, Kev wrote in :

Then DHCP isn't working properly. Better to fix the DHCP problem then to work around it.

Reply to
John Navas

It was one of the annoyances of the "Set IP Address" that there was no DHCP option. There was possibly an option in one of the wifi management tools but I didn't look at the time, the reason I got Backtrack was to use "Kismet" and unfortunately on the beta version I downloaded it wouldn't work so it was recycled.

Reply to
Kev

quoted text -

I tried http://64.236.29.120/ and no go. I then completely turned OFF wireless security and left the router wide open. Still no go.

I'm downloading Debian Linux now - I only wanted Backtrack for Kismet and I've heard that Backtrack deliberately disables Internet access - it's for hacking only. So, I'll kill it and do an install of Debian.

Thanks for the help!

Ken

Reply to
KG0WX

When I tried BT2 beta, a month ago, Internet access worked using both wireless and Ethernet connectivity. I used a "Static IP" and changed the DNS settings for ones used by my ISP.

- it's for

Reply to
Kev

Well, I installed Debian and found bigger problems including a refusal to install the wireless, read a partition (fat32) and see the sound card. Rats!

So, on to the next idea - Ubuntu! I burned a live CD and ran it, sure enough, I can only see the router - I can't get past it. #$@! I checked my windows networking setup and it is set for "obtain DNS server automatically". Same thing for IP address.

Sure hope you guru's can help.....

Reply to
KG0WX

I got it going - it was my DHCP configuration.

Ken

Reply to
KG0WX

Every day we get a little smarter. And older.

Reply to
Roby

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.