DCS 2100+

Last week I got a D-Link DCS 2100+ wireless camera. ($100 after rebate)

My DCS 2100+ Internet camera works perfect, as long as I use the wired Ethernet connection. When I remove the Ethernet connection, it is suppose to go into wireless mode but it doesn't. It just sits there with an orange light blinking. It is suppose to be green when it is connected.

I went by the book and rebooted the camera and pushed the reset button but it just does not connect to my 802.11 b/g Netgear Rangemax router in wireless mode. I don't get it because when I use the wired connection it goes and gets a correct IP address and connects fine. My router uses the IP scheme of 192.168.1.X. Most use 192.168.0.X but when it is is hard wired it gives itself the IP address of 192.168.1.4 and it works fine.

There was another thread with the same problem but when I contacted the person he said he never got it to work and uses the camera in wired mode.

Reply to
howkasam
Loading thread data ...

I dont have that exact cam but do have one equal and it has a slide switch on the back wifi/wired/both i think. Both doesnt work - set it stricktly wifi, power it down.. power down the router to clear the routing table.. power things back up.

Reply to
bumtracks

Where did yoiu see the 2100+ for that price after rebate please. Nice camera at that price, especially with the bundled software

Reply to
PDA Man

I was at Fry's and happend to look at the Web cameras. I saw it was marked from $200 down to $150 with a $50 rebate. There was no ad, it was just on sale. A few months ago the same thing happend with a DCS-900 camera. I was walking in Fry's and there it was for $80 with a $40 rebate. Same thing, no ad or anything just on sale.

There is no mechnical switch for wireless it is just suppose to sense that the ethernet cable is not attached and go wireless. Like I said it only works in wired mode and not wireless. I don't get what is happening but my Son said he bought another very expensive wireless camera and it was DOA in wireless mode. Maybe it just happens sometimes,.

Reply to
howkasam

I have sevral of there more inexpensive DCS 900 and 900W (wireless) and they do a pretty good job. There is not anything that is needed to do to go from Wired to Wireless that I have to do, I agree it is just a matter of it sensing the cable is removed. I would also suggest that you ontact tech support, if it is bad, you get another one. Missing out on that camera as wireless would be a financial travesty!

Reply to
PDA Man

I finally read the fine print, actually I went to the FAQ on their web site. The 2100+ does not work with a "g" network. The wireless part of the 2100+ is proprietary. They suggest putting your wireless net work in "b" only mode. I tied that and it still did not work on my Netgear router. So, I can use it in wired mode or I can brake out my old D-Link "b" router and try it again. So now I have to learn if I can have both a "b" and "g" network going at the same time. I started getting grey hair in the third grade, now this is going to make me lose the hair that I do have.

Yeah, I called tech support and talked to those India guys but they read from a script and were not too much help.

Reply to
howkasam
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

True -- it's "b" only. But it should work on a mixed "b+g" network.

It's actually standard "b" (not proprietary) mode plus an "enhanced" (proprietary) mode. It should work properly with standard "b" or mixed "b+g" products.

It should work. My guess is that it didn't because of some configuration issue, probably security mismatch (e.g., WEP, WPA, MAC filtering). Did you try it with *all* security turned off in the Netgear (and the correct SSID)? Is there some utility for the DCS-2100+ to configure the wireless settings?

Yes, but not on the same channel -- put them on different non-overlapping channels (1, 6, 11), and make sure the SSIDs are different (and unique).

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.