DC Adapter question

It is an accurate 'silliness' of your contention that a regulated supply may have significant voltage rise with a lower load than it's 'rating' (your original, and correct, warning about unregulated supplies that you clung to when I brought up regulated wall worts).

But the whole point to "regulation" is to prevent precisely what you argue can take place so it would have to be 'unregulated' for your caution to be true, which would make it an 'unregulated' regulated wall wort, silly as it is.

I really have no idea why you decided to turn a simple matter of regulated wall worts into a mash of mumbo jumbo. Say someone wants to replace a dead

5V 2A SMP wall wort. What the hell do you suggest they get?
Reply to
David Maynard
Loading thread data ...

"Ann-Marie" wrote in news:tJqpe.3295$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com:

The DSL-604+ is an excellent product, although it's now at 'end of life'. I have one and have installed many more - very reliable, and one of D-Link's better products.

Like most 'all-in-one' devices, it is (was?) not sold in the US. But strangely, I have a copy of apparently US-specific firmware stored away in a safe place, b3t14usa. So it's a lot earlier than the current UK firmware, b3t41uk. Anyway, I digress...

The DSL-604+ *is* sold in Canada and can be found on the D-Link CA website here:

It's currently distributed by Telus as part of their Home Networking service.

Not only do I have a UK-spec model, but also a Canadian-spec model which I acquired from a customer who did what you have done - took his router with him. However, the firmware is Telus-specific and I'm unable to set it up for UK operation, and can't load the UK-spec firmware because it's a different hardware revision level. But I digress again...

I have here in my hand a N. American spec external power supply for the DSL-604+ as supplied by D-Link CA. The details on the label say: Input: 120V AC 60Hz 20W Output: 7.5V DC 1.5A

Suggestions:

1. You could try D-Link CA and see if their spares dept (?) can ship one to you

1. Let's do a swap. I'll send you mine if you send me yours. It's quite heavy (heavier than the UK equivalent) but I can ship it airmail small packet for around £6, and it'll be with you in say 3 days

If you're interested, email me off list to arrange. Find my email address below. I'll also copy this to you by email (assuming the address in the header is valid) just in case you don't see this post.

Notes:

1. I'm sure the DSL-604+ will work just fine in the US with UK firmware, since it's set to autohandshake with the exchange / central office and will settle on the correct US comms standard (ANSI T1.413 issue 2) rather than that used in the UK (ITU-T G.992.1).

1. As someone else has said, don't use radio channels 12-13 as they are outside the frequency band allowed by the FCC.

2. The DSL-604+ is/was one of the few such devices actually made by D- Link, or more specifically by their OEM/ODM division. This has now been spun off into a separate company, Alpha Networks

1. If anyone knows the console password for the Telus-specific firmware for the DSL-604+ Rev B, please let me know. This is the password required to login either at the console port or via telnet. Hint: it's

*not* admin/telus.

1. I know a great deal about the DSL-604+ - but not the console password for the Telus-specific firmware. Anyone?

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

Funny you mention "real life" and then wander off into a fantasy land of speculation.

The fact of the "real life" matter is that none of your "sometimes" speculations apply to SMP wall worts.

That is what I meant by your mash of mumbo jumbo. One can 'speculate' anything but the real world case is that a regulated wall wort will have none of the characteristics you ponder as 'possible'.

Oh I understand them just fine and design them too. The difference is I don't try to obfuscate the practical matters with theoretical 'anything could be' speculations.

Wouldn't you be terrified it could be one of those unsuitable 'possibilities' of inferior regulation you just ranted about?

No need as it's appropriately silly as it stands.

Reply to
David Maynard

Thanks. Knew it had to be unless someone had invented featherweight iron ;)

Oh, I wish that was the one that came with mine. Mine has the plug on the end, which means it sticks almost 3 inches out the wall, if you plugged it into a wall outlet.

That's the tolerance. They don't seem to mention load/line regulation %.

Look at the second 5 volt job 5 lines down: 2.5A 12.5W

Reply to
David Maynard

Most of mine are plugged into power strips where such a compact arrangement is benificial. However, there are ways to deal all manner of wall warts.

formatting link

Oops. I didn't notice the "U" suffix. Thanks.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I just happen to have a DLink DI-614+ here. DLink uses several sources of power supplies. This one is a: Fairway Electronics LTD Model: WN10A-050U Input: 100-240VAC 1.0A Max 50-60Hz Output: +5.0VDC 2.5A With such a wide input voltage range, it has to be a switcher.

formatting link
that the 5VDC output is regulated (to 5%).

I dunno about the 70% efficiency. Seems a bit low. Interesting that the sticker says 2.5A while the data sheet says 2.0A output. Oh-oh.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

But wait! Couldn't the transformer be very light if it were ferrite and worked at a much higher frequency than 60 Hz? Oh, never mind.

Phil Weld>

Reply to
Phil Weldon

Hehe. Sure. That's how a switcher does it.

Reply to
David Maynard

Now HOW did you get a picture of my power strip?

Reply to
David Maynard

Nope. I just checked with my wiz-bang new optical IR thermometer. My pile of 8 wall warts is running quite cool. I added two switcher wall warts to the top of the brown octopus connectors. Highest temperature was 83F (ambient is 71F). Most of the wall warts in the photo are not running. They go to my HP scanner, PCR-1000 receiver, Belkin KVM switch, Kyocera PDA phone, Radio Shock RC electric car charger, and other devices that are usually turned off. The ones running my BEFW11S4 and Efficient 5260 DSL modem are always on, but run quite cold. I suspect that if I turned everything on, it might get a bit warm. I could measure the dissipation and calculate the heat rise (based on black body radiation and surface area), but I'm lazy today.

I've had wall warts that ran very hot. Hot enough to burn my fingers when I touched them. The nice thing about the hot ones is that they don't last very long. I have a fair collection of replacements and connectors. A substantial number of my operating wall warts are replacement.

Incidentally, my photo of the octpus connectors plus power strip made the rounds on an electrical safety mailing list. The result was some really interesting email from electricians suggesting I was derranged, isane, dangerous, unsafe, and in violation of several NEC code sections. Absolutely nobody thought it was a good idea. Oh well.

The problem with the arrangement in the photo is that I have to glue the brown octopus connectors to the power strip, or it will tend to fall over. Xformers can only be installed in pairs. It works, but isn't the greatest. Currently, I'm using several of those overpriced flat two row power strips that are made to handle wall warts. The density is about the same but the plugs are much easier to deal with.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

do you not find that the adaptors in the middle get kinda hot? I can practically cook toast on the power strip under my desk at work.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Here's an easy way to do it:

formatting link
I have used a "power control center" on every computer I've built.

formatting link
With the little cords shown above they are very useful devices for turning the power on only to the devices in use. They claim "surge suppession", but I would not even consider them for that; the built in circuit breaker might prevent a severe overload from tripping the mains breaker. They make a good base to set the monitor on. :-)

Reply to
VWWall

The current arrangement is different from the photo. I have three strips. One has the stuff that runs all the time and comes from the UPS. The other two get switched on/off depending on whether I'm at my messy desk, or gone. I don't switch them individually, but the grouping is better than leaving everything on all the time. Incidentally, the switcher type of wall wart turn off when there's no load.

It's been happening. Most of the current stuff comes with 12VDC wall warts. It's not in the name of standardization or anything so obvious. It's beause the 12VDC wall warts are cheaper than some of the other odd voltages. It also makes it easy to adapt for mobile and portable operation in the car.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for the URL. Have you ever seen a 3-prong AC adapter that attaches permanently (serrated contacts on the female end) to a USA 3-prong AC power plug and has a 'flip-up' ground pin. I've used it on 120 VAC power plugs for temporary lighting, but no longer know of a source. Any ideas? The URL you posted is quite useful, but does not seem to have that type of adapter.

Phil Weld>

formatting link

Reply to
Phil Weldon

Lucky you. My rather smaller (I only put one PSU per socket on the strip) runs rather warm. Maybe its the 240V we use over here :-)

That makes a difference I guess. How do you turn individual PSUs off? Most such units pump out heat even when the device they're supplying is off.

FWIW, It definitely isn't. One dodgy PSU heating up the strip could trip the rest over into overheat territory, and the whole lot could go up in flames. Still, its your funeral and Ive no doubt that everyone says "it never happens to me". Right up until it does... :-(

I reckon there's a market opportunity persuading manufacturers to standardise on voltage, so that we poor users could buy one buck fsckoff transformer and run say 7.5V and 12V DC rails under the desk.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.