Date Bug in Netgear DG834G Log Files

My Netgear DG834G sent me a log file this morning which it dated Fri, 1 Aug 2005. The entries in the log file are all fine (ie. report as Fri,

2005-07-01 etc.) so it looks like just the code for the mailheader the is wrong.

I'm running firmware v2.10.17 on a v2 DG834G.

Can anyone running the latest firmware (v2.10.22) confirm whether this is a problem with their router?

(incidentally, as well as the date not being accurate, it isn't even logically correct - 1st Aug isn't a Friday this year!)

Thanks, David

Reply to
David
Loading thread data ...

This is also the case with my DG834GT with firmware V1.01.28 (the latest). To say that 30 June is followed immediately by 1 August is a real howler!

Netgear really do have problems with their dates and times in email headers. In the firmware that the router was supplied with, the Date field was missing from the email (I was amazed to find that Date is an *optional* field in an email!), then in V1.01.28 it was present but the offset from GMT was wrong during summer months. Quite why they need a "Adjust for Daylight Savings Time" field is byond me: Windows has cracked the daylight savings issue by hard-coding it with the rules on the changeover dates that are associated with each time zone - if you say you live in Britain (GMT: London, Edinburgh) it uses the standard changeover dates (last Sunday before

21 March and first Sunday after 21 October, I think). And the time is correct in the logs so why is it wrong in the emails, I wonder?
Reply to
Martin Underwood

Yes, it's the same with 2.10.22. I received messages with that same incorrect date from six different DG834Gs.

I have no idea why Netgear added that Date: header line, they got both the time of day (misses DST adjustments) and month name wrong and this header is not even required by RFC. Mails from systems running 1.05.00 always arrived with correct Date: lines for both time and month; the router didn't put in any at all and so MTAs added correct ones.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

Given that Netgear routers have a UNIX-like operating system, you'd think that there's been plenty of development time for them to get the date/time handling sorted out. Does UNIX have the same sort of daylight savings algorithms as Windows or is it a bit more simplistic - eg it only knows about the American changeover dates. It's nearly 10 years since I worked on UNIX so I can't remember whether it changes over on the correct dates.

How much spread is there in the changeover dates around the world? Do most countries that have daylight savings time change around the spring and autumn equinoxes, or are the dates dependent on latitude?

Reply to
Martin Underwood

try

formatting link
Lars

Reply to
Lars

Actually the UK now just follows the European system of last Sunday in March until last Sunday in October. Articles 2 & 3:

formatting link

Reply to
James Taylor

I knew we followed the rest of the EU, but I thought it was the closest Sunday to each equinox, which would have been a week or so earlier than the last Sunday in March and October.

What dates do other countries around the world use? Are they all around the same times of year?

Reply to
Martin Underwood

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.