d-link wbr2310

i have a d-link wbr-2310 wireless router.

the isp is tells me that they will be upgrading their servies, and will be replacing the modem to a wireless modem.

looking at the manual for the wbr-2310 router. it says that it has access point included.

question. can i use the wbr-2310 by connecting the 16 port switch into the wbr-2310 and have it work as a access point to the supplied wireless router.

the supplied router is then connected to the internet. will the computers on the switch work on the internet.

Reply to
john
Loading thread data ...

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 16:57:10 -0600, "john" wrote in :

All wireless routers have a wireless access point.

Do you want to use it as another wireless access point (host)? Or as a wireless Ethernet _client_ bridge?

If and only if the wbr-2310 can be configured as a wireless Ethernet client bridge, which isn't something shown on the D-Link website.

Are both your shift keys broken?

Reply to
John Navas

was working on the idea of a wireless Ethernet _client_ bridge.

i did not know (do not know) that you can disable the dhcp from the router that is connected to the internet.

if that can be done. then the d-link could be the host with the 16 port switch connected. the isp wireless router can then can just be a switch. would the firewall work on both routers or would that be disable when you disable the dhcp.

Reply to
john

the wireless modem that the isp will be supplying is 2wire. do not know what model.

Reply to
john

if the 2wire is a client. will the lan ports be seen by the d-link (host)?

back to the first problem that i find would not work with the d-lnik router.

Reply to
john

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 22:50:29 -0600, "john" wrote in :

Then I think you're out of luck -- as best I can tell from the D-Link webpile, the WBR-2310 cannot be configured as a wireless Ethernet _client_ bridge. You would only be able to use it as (a) wireless router or (b) wireless access point [with the router part disabled and bypassed].

Shouldn't be an issue -- just use it as the only DHCP server or make sure any other DHCP server doesn't hand out conflicting addresses.

Regardless, that _won't_ turn a wireless router into a wireless Ethernet client bridge.

What is the switch for? Why use the WBR-2310 at all? Why not just use the wireless in the supplied combo modem? You need to be a lot more detailed and specific on what you want to do. Extra credit for a complete network diagram.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.