D-Link router keeps locking up

Hi there,

I have a D-Link DI-774 wireless router. The problem is quite simple; it keeps locking up, often within minutes of being turned on.

More specifically, when this happens *all* the lights at the front light up, stay lit and stop flickering like normal. The router is effectively dead (Windows XP thinks that the cable has been disconnected, and there is no way of contacting it). The only way of curing this is to turn the router off and on again.

This has happened even when nothing is connected to the router (either wirelessly or via cable). It only started happening after the 1 year guarantee period ran out (hmm.....).

I've heard that this might be something to do with the power supply, although a simple test with a multimeter indicates that the voltage seems to be okay (disclaimer; I'm pretty incompetent when it comes to electronics...); and surely that would cause the unit to reboot rather than lock up?

Has anyone else out there had a similar problem and managed to fix it? (I've tried using D-Link's support site, but have had a number of problems with it).

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

- snipped-for-privacy@oink.co.uk (No relation to the "triffid" guy in the firewalls group...)

Reply to
triffid
Loading thread data ...

It has a problem, I had a smilar issus with a 524 and after working with a dlink tech I took back to the retail outlet and exchange it for a different one which corrected the issue. So I suggest you exchange the router at the store you purchase it at. If it is less then a month, if it more than a month you will probably need to work with dlink to replace it if you purchase it less than a year.

Reply to
Eugene J. Maes

Hmmm, What do you expect from D-link. One bad experience was enough to avoid anything D-link, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Thanks for the feedback, but as I mentioned the problem only started after the one-year warranty was up :-(

Perhaps I could convince them to give me a new router in exchange for the old POS, but I wouldn't bet on that...

Weird thing is that it's been up without crashing for well over 12 hours at present.

- Triffid

Reply to
triffid

Not a solution, I'm afraid, but my D-Link (DSLG604T) is also a POS which frequently loses wireless connectivity. Sometimes a reboot solves it, sometimes it doesn't. Who knows why or what the solution is (apart from buying a non-D-Link router!

Reply to
Cheeky

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.