D-link router compatible cards?

Hello, I have a d-link DI-524 router. I am looking for a PCI wireless card for my desktop computer. I'd like a really nice card and I hear d-link cards aren't that great, but since my router is d-link shouldn't I buy a d-link card too?

Can anyone suggest some good cards or brands that work well with d-link and have a really nice range? (nothing too crazy though, I don't want spend over $60).

Thanks guys!

Reply to
Arrowx7
Loading thread data ...

You don't have to look too hard to find complaints about Brand X or Brand Y. I'm using both D-Link and Linksys stuff and, the truth is, they really aren't all that much different. Much of the internal guts even comes from the same sources with consumer junk, anyway. Yeah, I use the word "junk", but it is "junk that works".

A quick look at the D-524 is revealing that it is just your standard vanilla

802.11g/b device that doesn't incorporate any proprietary "turbo rates", so there wouldn't be any advantage to matching a DLink PCI card with it. Nor would there be any disadvantage with matching non-DLink cards with it. Even if it did, it only gives you a slight advantage with local WLAN traffic. Unless, of course, you are lucky enough to have your own T3 or greater for internet.

You are wide open for use with any 802.11b or 802.11g card. Go for 802.11g though as it will give you WPA encryption and 802.11g cards are a dime a dozen these days. Specific card? Oh, I don't know. I'd compare various Linksys and DLink PCI cards. They are under $60. Go with one that comes with a moveable antenna and cable instead of just an antenna that simply just connects to the card.

Reply to
Eric

You have my condolences. 8*)

I've had really good luck with Linksys WAP54G APs in client mode. Not only can you place them for best effect, but they've got good radios, dual replaceable antennas, and best of all, no drivers! I'm assuming your desktop machine has an Ethernet port...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Thanks a lot guys that really helped!!!

Reply to
Paul A

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.