D-Link G604T Unable to connect the Wireless part

OK, real new at this, so may need some prompting!

Have a D-Link DSL-G604T Router and ADSL Modem that has LAN ports as well as a Wireless connection.

Have set everything up via the HTTP:// wizard. Internet connection works fine and other computers connected to the router via cable all get Web access.

Wish to connect my Toshiba Portege Laptop to the Wireless part of the Router. It sees the SSID and have 100% signal strength and make connection and supply the 128 Bit ASCII key.

Now if I let Windows (Win XP with Service Pack 2) in the Laptop control the Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI card, then I get a full strength connection but cannot access the Internet thru the Router. The Wireless icon in the tray does NOT have a Limited connectivity exclamation on it. Have tried all firewalls off and no success. Note the ADSL Internet connection is working fine via the main computer and works to the Laptop if I use a LAN cable to the router. It just doesn't work with the Wireless connection.

Now if I use WinC software to manage the Laptop wireless card, it again sees the SSID and gets an IP address but again no Internet connection, although this time the icon in the tray indicates "Limited or no connectivity".

I have used the wireless Laptop connection in hotels or Starbucks when travelling, so it does work.

Any help appreciated!

Frenchy

Reply to
Frenchy
Loading thread data ...

Just because you see a good signal strength and see the SSID it is not an indication of connectivity. A wireless device i.e laptop, has to go through a couple of processes that the wired lan doesnt have to go through.

There are 2 steps that are done with a wireless device. First is authentication, this is where you are checked to see if you are allowed on the network......i.e correct wep key.

The second is association, if you dont get associated, then you wont get to access the rest of the system, i.e internet.

I would say that you have a security setup problem. The way to determine this is to just set up the router for open authentication and no encryption and see if it works. If it does then go back through the steps of applying security.

You did not mention what type of security you are using, if you are using wep then you need the correct keys for the Ap and the adapter. If you are using wpa-psk with TKIP or AES, then your adapter must also have the correct updated driver to support it. Check your vendor site and see if you are running the latest driver that supports it.

Reply to
Airhead

Guess I didnt read your post well enough.....You state you are connected

connection

Reply to
Airhead

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.