D-Link DWL-G820 work with AP?

I'm trying to get internet access in another building about 60 feet away.

I have an access point at the end of the first building. If I put a D-Link DWL-G820 adapter, hard wired to the remote computer with an ethernet cable, will it work?

Reply to
Jim
Loading thread data ...

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 08:03:20 -0500, "Jim" wrote in :

It should.

Reply to
John Navas

The G820 works great for what you are describing. I have been using these units for several years now with great success. To make life easier for you change the G820 static IP from 192.168.0.35 (default) to match your AP address, i.e. 192.168.1.35. This way you can access and check signal strengths etc. without setting a static IP.

You can plug the G820 directly into a computer or use another router if you need more than one computer or wifi at the remote location. Supports VOIP quite nicely. With the standard antenna RP-SMA you can add directional and/or higher gain antennas.

If you haven't bought the unit yet I would suggest looking at the Meraki Minis 'Meraki'

formatting link
units are inexpensive and work exceptionally well. Being true MESH units they can solve a lot of problems regarding interference, just dog leg from another building using 3 boxex, i.e. AP ==> repeater ==>

repeater.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
cyborg054

Sorry but forgot to mention this. With this D-Link appliance, and actually quite a few more of them, it doesn't like resetting.

From D-Link and applying to a lot of their gear including VOIP boxes

1. Press the reset button and hold for at least 15 seconds, in the case of the G820 you can see the network icon by the clock going from connected to not connected (I set all my network cards to display when connected)
  2. After the 15 seconds or so UNPLUG the power WHILE STILL HOLDING THE RESET BUTTON
  3. Leave off for about 5 minutes
  4. Plug in and you should be back to factory defaults.
  5. Set you network card to 192.168.0.20 (anything but 35)
  6. In your browser type 192.168.0.35, and "admin" when login screen appears.
  7. Set your Static IP address to fit into your network, i.e.
192.168.1.35, hit apply and then run the wizard.
  1. After the wizard has run you should have an internet connection AND be able to connect to the G820 at the assigne address.

To avoid these problems if changing SSIDs etc BEFORE changing the SSID access the G820 and use Factory Reset, then go to step 5.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
cyborg054

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.