D-Link DWL-G650+ hangs my laptop

There are 4 mutations of the G650 sold in the US plus the G650+ which is NOT sold in the US. Which one do you have and where?

Linux drivers appear to be available from Realtek.

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Hi!

I have a D-Link DWL-G650+ PCMCIA card in my laptop. The card works fine, but when I unplug the power cord and start using the machine with battery power, it hang if I transfer any larger files or have constant traffic going on. After testing this problem, I have come to the conclusion, that the cause is the D-Link card. Has anyone else experienced this kind of behavior with wireless D-Link cards and is there any way to fix the situation? I already have asked the D-Link tech support about this, but they couldn't come up with any usable solution.

The laptop is running a Windows XP Home Edition (SP1) and the network card drivers are the newest ones available. The laptop is an HP Pavilion with Athlon-XP processor, which has some quite heavy power saving functionality, when running with the battery (could cause problems?).

Sincerely, Matti J. Kärki

Reply to
Matti J Karki

Hi Matti,

I really don't know, but I can imagine, you could have asked the right question. Maybe you should try to turn off powersaving for the card. I think u know how to manage this;)

Hope this will fix the problem.

regards,

Jens

PS: I d> Hi!

Reply to
Jens Hartmann

but I am not sure if there are linuxdrivers for the G650...-sorry

Reply to
Jens Hartmann

I checked and it seems that the card is in "continuous access" mode. In other words, the power saving mode is off.

Well, I was reluctant to try the SP2, because I have had some problems with it in the past. But I installed it anyway and still the problem exists.

I also tested the card with Knoppix 2.6 and ndiswrapper. Unfortunately, the ndiswrapper didn't get the Windows driver working.

Reply to
Matti J Karki

Well, I'm the one who is in a need of the Linux driver and I'm living in Europe and using G650+ card.

Thanks for the link. I'll need to check the acx100.sourceforge.net project...

Reply to
Matti J Karki

OK. I was able to fix this problem. I changed the Wlan card to use 11b instead of 11g connection. This seems to prevent the hanging.

Does anyone else has experiences of this kind of behavior where forcing the card to use 11b will fix connection problems?

Reply to
Matti J Karki

Yes, I have. I also noticed that when the laptop battery is almost out of juice, the computer may hang under heavy traffic even if the card if forced to work as an 11b card. So, now I'm suspecting that my laptop can't keep up the stable power at the PCMCIA slot.

Interesting. What does Ahteros have to do with D-Link cards? I thought that the G650+ uses Motorola or TI chipsets.

Reply to
Matti J Karki

Well not rearly,

Do you have the newest driver installed from dlink website? If this doesnt work try the atheros 3.x.x driver.

I use this here because it supports althoug passive mode for capturing .)

If you dont know where to get it,feel free to email me.

Regards, Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Rose

Well i havent looked at the chipset yet. I always use

formatting link
website for lookinf for hardware :) Go to the support page and look under airopeek supported hardware v2.x If your card is in there it deffently can do passiv mode :) You althoug will find a link to the atheros driver there. Pls use only the driver they announce on their website.i tryed newer drivers form them and they didnt fitt.

Was the same with dlink 610. As they write on their website the realtek driver should work,but it didnt.

I patched the driver and voila passiv mode worked.

Seems the best built database on their website about cards and even normal pci cards that can handle other drivers.

Cheers, Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Rose

Thanks for the info. I'll check the site.

Reply to
Matti J Karki

Matti J Karki wrote in news:coevbg$2fa$1 @oravannahka.helsinki.fi:

D-Link has an unhelpful habit of using the same numbering system for

*completely* different products. It's easy to get them confused.

The DWL-650, DWL-650+ and DWL-G650+ are all based on different wirless chipsets, and even between these (particularly the DWL-650) different chipsets have been used in different hardware revisions.

One clue lies in the "+". This is used to indicate so-called

802.11b+, the 22 Mbit/s speed achieved using PBCC modulation. This was invented by TI and there was some squabbling about it; although it is an option in IEEE 802.11g, (almost*) all wireless devices capable of this speed are based on TI devices.

The DWL-650+ is based on the TI ACX100 The DWL-G650+ is based on the TI TNETW1130

• The Marvell Libertas 88W8000 / 88W8300 chipset implements a 22 Mbit/s 'proprietary' speed, which I assume uses PBCC, but I could be wrong.

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.