D-Link DWL 700AP Repeater Issue

Hi,

I have tried using my DWL 700AP as a repeater to no avail, as soon as I set it up as a repeater, it simply dissapears from the network. It does however work very well as a client, so I thought that if I got another and set one as a client and one as an access point and joined them together this would solve my problem. No, I can see both devices and ping them fine, but I cant ping the router that the client is attached to, or see the internet, any ideas please.

Reply to
Bryan
Loading thread data ...

ideas

What do you mean by disappears? If using the XP wireless client (wzc) it wont show up because of a limitation that it cant show 2 devices broadcasting the same SSID. Therefore a different client utility must be used. This is per the Dlink website............................I havent had firsthand with it.

Reply to
Airhead

When set up as a repeater it won't show up in the network. It uses IP address 192.168.0.50 as standard so if you have anything else that uses that IP address, then change it.

Set it up as a client first and then once it is working, change it to repeater mode. It will work transparently as though it doesn't exist i.e. it will not show up in network neighbourhood. Also note that you can't you the Ethernet port on it to connect to the network once it is in repeater mode. You can only use it to change its settings.

Reply to
Tony

get a copy of "air snare" that way you can monitor if the repeating units mac address is active..however the 700ap have a problem bryan..we have tried 3 each go to sleep in repeat mode after varying times ..we have tried several s/w versions all are useless in repeat.. we now use the 800ap+ in repeat and as ap they work ok but dont repeat the 700ap reliably..they are cheap on e-bay and are really small ideal for putting in boxes up on the antenna mast.i believe they can be flashed to 810 s/w if you are into such things.. regrettably the 800ap dont have any site survey or signal indication at all.. all in all i suggest you stay with the tried and tested dwl-900ap+... put the 700ap on e-bay......... alec

Reply to
alec

I've left a 700ap running in repeater mode for just over 6 months without a problem. Did you update them to the latest firmware? (there was a "sleep" problem with their older firmware)

Reply to
Tony

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.