D-Link DI-714P+

My Speedstream router wireless section has died. I have an extended warrantee but Speedstream dropped that program and now they cannot find my record. Ya right!

I am looking at the D-Link DI-714P+ as a replacement unit. I would appreciate anyone comments on both the company and this specific product.

My requirements are for wireless, firewall, print server, DSL cable ready router. Suggestions for other brand or model products are welcome. Thanks.

Reply to
no-ONE
Loading thread data ...

Before you give up, try resetting everything to defaults and see if it magically fixes itself.

formatting link
You realize that it's only 802.11b and not 802.11g? I have a customer with the non-printer version. It's been working just fine for about 2 years. The "+" means that it uses the TI ACX100 chipset which is quite good. The latest firmware update added WPA-PSK, and a mess of important bug fixes. Be sure to disarm the "4X mode" on the wireless or you will have erratic performance.

I don't have anything nice to say about DLink, Netgear or Linksys as a company. They all have their problems although not in the same areas. If you buy cheap, you can't really expect much from the company.

My suggestion is to NOT buy an all in one product even though it might be cheaper. You already have a seperate cable/DSL modem, so you got that part right. The router wants to live where all the wires come together, which is usually under the desk, on the floor, in a closet, basement, or some obscure and hidden location. Meanwhile, the wireless wants to live in the open, as high as possible, and in the middle of everything. These are not exactly compatible requirements. Therefore, I suggest you seperate the router/switch part of the puzzle from the wireless part.

I also suggest you get 802.11g and not 802.11b, even if you only have

802.11b client radios. The g radios tend to have much better RF performance. As wireless technology improves, you will not need to toss all the hardware just to upgrade one component.

There's no need to get a dedicated "wireless access point" for my "component" system. Wireless routers can be used as access points by simply: - ignore the WAN port - set the IP for something that does not duplicate the router IP - disable the DHCP server - connect a CAT5 cable between a router and wireless LAN ports

I'm not sure what to suggest for the printer. It really depends on the type of printer. You could go wireless to the printer, or to a USB print server, or wireless USB, or some built in print servers. Make and model?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I've got the orginal model, still ticking after 4 years I guess. I think it's starting to have issues although it may just be us banging on it to hard with all the downloading and servers I run. I just got the 624 for a customer and after 8 hrs of screwing with it and Tech Support I am not impressed with either which is a shame because they use to both be quite good.

Reply to
James B

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.