D-Link DI-624 Doesn't work.

Hey I could use some help here. I have a D-Link DI-624 Router, rev C, So far, the power, Status, WLAN LEDs doesn't light up. However WAN, Local Network 1-4 light u, and stay on. They are lit if there is something plugged in, or nothing. I can't get any access to the setup page, reset doesn't do anything. Laptop can't detect it, and when desktop is plugged into it, I have no network connection. I can't remember what firmware I have on it anymore, because I had it in storage for several months now, and now I brought it out, after I got a laptop. It did work for a bit, then after I plugged the PC in, it went to hell from there. Any help please?

Reply to
big_d_316
Loading thread data ...

Have you tried doing a factory reset?

Otherwise it sounds like its bricked to me.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

I assume you tried a grand reset. Also try holding the reset button down while turning on the router. Adding a few 4 letter incantations may also help.

I have a DI-624, which methinks is a rev C1, sitting on a hilltop with an endless flashing status light. Obviously, this is not proper operation, but everything works, so why bother fixing it? Anyway, I've seen the DI-624 (various revs) do strange things. Most were fixed by reloading or updating the firmware. Most did NOT stay fixed and were eventually converted to eWaste. Personally, I think there's an internal routine that tramples bits and pieces of the flash ram until things stop working and it's time to buy a replacement.

If you want to spend an inordinate amount of time on the problem, be advised that the DI-624 sorta supports TFPT firmware updates:

If it's still mostly alive, you might give that a try.

There's also a hack to flash the DI-624 firmware onto a DI-524. While that's not directly applicable, reverse engineering the procedure might be useful for flashing your DI-624 using TFTP.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I had a DLink AP do exactly that after a power flick during a storm. The WLAN LEDs (802.11a/bg) (and power, IIRC) stopped illuminating, but everything else was still lit. Reset didn't work on it either. I thought it was toast, but was able to fix it. The firmware simply became corrupted during the power flicker. When I hooked it up to a computer directly, it gave me a page saying that firmware was corrupted and an option to update the firmware.

Are you setting up a static IP on your laptop before you connect it? Set up something like IP 192.168.0.100 , Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 , and then try connecting to it at 192.168.0.1 If it is just corrupted firmware, you should get a page saying that the firmware is corrupted and also a means to upload new firmware from your laptop.

Try connecting the laptop to both the WAN and one (all, if need be) LAN ports. I forget which I had to use. (I think it was actually one of the LAN ports that I did have success with.)

If that doesn't work, then it is probably toast...

Reply to
jnkmail009

how do I grand reset? Is that when I plug it in with the reset pressed?

Reply to
big_d_316

how do I grand reset? Is that when I plug it in with the reset pressed?

Reply to
big_d_316

To just clear the settings, press and hold the reset button (hole in back of unit) for: 10 seconds: according to DLink

20 seconds: according to what I've seen

Do *NOT* unplug the power after punching the reset button. Give it time to scribble all over the NVRAM settings area. My guess is about

15 seconds, but give it at least 1-2 minutes. Pull the plug too soon and you'll have trash for default values.

However, methinks you need a new firmware load, which requires a different reset procedure. See:

Note that IE is required.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Some are different, but figure you need to unplug or disconnect the power, then press and hold down the reset button for 10 to ? seconds.

Reply to
Pennywise

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 14:17:20 -0800, big_d_316 aided th' terraists with the following claims :

Well first off its gonna *cost* you... Like a thousand dollars :(

Reply to
§ñühwØ£f

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.