d-link dap1160 bad

Have a question or want to start a discussion? Post it! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!

Threaded View
I don't seem to have much joy with networking boxes at the moment.

I bought a dap-1160 to run in AP client mode to give wireless access to  
2 boxes.

It set up fine, connected first time to my network, and seemed OK. Until  
I did a ping check..... at just 3 feet from the WAP, there was a 10%  
packet loss, with ping delays from 2.5 to 60ms. Over the distance I need  
(25ft plus a wall), it claims to connect, but no data seems to be  
transferred (*). Over an intermediate distance (10 feet plus a brick  
wall), ping worked for a few seconds, then the connection dropped. In  
all cases, my laptop's internal wireless works perfectly (with ping  
times around 1.5ms) at the same spot.

Another box to go back, I guess; but has anyone else got one of these to  
work??


(*) the link was so bad, even ARP wasn't working.


--  
Mike Scott (unet2 <at> [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England

wrong culprit (was: Re: d-link dap1160 bad)
On 30/09/13 19:40, Mike Scott wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

Hmmm. I persevered with this a bit. I'm still not entirely clear what's  
been going on - the dlink would work intermittently then comms would  
lock up - although the wireless activity light would flash still.

The problem was most apparent trying to run BBC iplayer - which made me  
try copying files of increasing size over NFS, thus finding that small  
files (4kb or less)  were fine, while big ones (40kb or more) would  
cause instant lockup. Then I found the exact same problem using my  
laptop's inbuilt wireless client.

So I swapped out the AP (a BIT Homehub 3, replaced with an old safecom)  
- and the problem went completely. Ping packet loss is still 1 or 2%,  
but large files transfer successfully using the lappie's inbuilt  
hardware or using the dlink, and iplayer seems to work too.

So it would seem the problem after all wasn't the dlink client, but  
rather BT's Homehub access point. Odd, since this has been working OK  
for most usage. And I still don't understand exactly why restarting the  
dlink would clear the problem, at for least for a while. But anyway,  
problem solved, and maybe this jotting will help some else.



--  
Mike Scott (unet2 <at> [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England

Re: wrong culprit

BTW, a news article went out a few days ago about D-Link routers having  
an easy to hack back door. Of all things, it was dependent on the  
browser user agent. Patches should be coming.

All I have from Dlink is unmanaged switches, so I think I am safe.


Site Timeline