Creating a Belkin Wireless Bridge - Help!

I am trying to create a wireless bridge between two Belkin F5D72314 Routers. One is being used as a Wireless Router, and the other has been configured to be used as an Access Point. I've entered the WLAN Address into the Wireless Bridge Page of the Router. I've also made sure that the SSID's are the same, and both the Access Point and the Router are on the same channel. For purposes of troubleshooting, I've turned off all encryption and other security.

I am able to sucessfully Ping the Access Point when it's connected to the Router via Ethernet Cable. However, when I disconnect the Ethernet Cable, it loses the connection.

What step am I missing here to complete the Wireless Bridge?

Reply to
rspike
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net hath wroth:

You can't do that. Access points do not normally talk to other access points. A wireless router is nothing more than a wireless access point with an ethernet router tacked on. It won't work either.

What will work between routers and access points is WDS (wireless distribution service). The F5D72314 does support WDS and should work, especially between identical routers. The Belkin WDS instructions seem a bit lacking. Although this is for a WRT54G, the configuration should be similar: |

formatting link
your description, I suspect you haven't done any configuration on the WDS page.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks.

This makes absolutely no sense given the fact that Belkin claims it

*will* work. You would think they would know their own products.

I think what you are saying is that I *can* make it work with my existing equipment, but I can't find the WDS configuration page anywhere in the Router's settings.

Any idea where it might me?

Reply to
rspike

Further on this - - - I was able to locate this information on the Wireless Bridge Page and apparently the Router *does* support WDS:

Wireless Bridging or Wireless Distribution System (WDS) is used to connect Wireless Routers and Access points together to extend a network.

1) Wireless channels must match between Router and AP. 2) Security settings (WEP) must match between Router and AP. 3) If MAC filtering is enabled, user must be sure to add the WLAN MAC address(es) of the Router/AP in order to allow communication with each other.

I've done all this - - - But, I am not able to sucessfully Ping the Access Point unless it's connected to the Router with an ethernet cable. As soon as I disconnect the cable, it loses connectivity. Seems to me like there's a simple tweak that I am missing.

Reply to
rspike

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net hath wroth:

They're wrong. Access points do not talk to access points without using WDS.

Yep. That's what the data sheet says.

Did you look at the sample Linksys WRT54G configuration link I posted? It's not the same for your Belkin, but the general idea is the same. The usual goof is to configure the wrong MAC address. The wireless MAC address for a router can be different from the ethernet and WAN MAC addresses. Dive into the configuration and check your numbers. If you need additional help, you'll need to post some numbers as to how you have it configured.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yea - - - I read the Configuration Link you posted, and I reviewed all of my settings and they look to be correct. Obvsiouly, something is missing. I'll keep looking and post some config numbers if I get stuck.

If anybody else has anything to add that might be helpful, I'd appreciate it!

Reply to
rspike

Further on this . . .

I was able to update the Firmware, and now the Wireless Bridge works great.

Thanks for everybody's help.

Reply to
rspike

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.