crap

what's the deal with 801.1x, WPA, WPA2 and a zillion of other measures to secure wireless networks. Not a single wireless network in my apartment building are secured (not even with WEP). I think they know about security issues; they just don't care.

Reply to
wv9557
Loading thread data ...

A lot of reasons. People today seem to have little interest in knowing about stuff. So they buy things from the experts at the big box stores (who know everything so they don't have to), open the box and plug them in. When they can "surf" out by the pool all is well. Also people want cheap stuff, in order to accommodate that manufacturers can't afford to provide tech support. If stuff didn't (insecurely) work out of the box manufacturers would get deluged with support calls.

Reply to
George

First. people are afraid of anything they don't understand, like 'witchcraft' in the middle ages. They are just not willing to learn if there is a (less effective, less secure) way to do thing without learning. Second, they favor convenience over security, particularly when they have to learn something to implement security. How many people use remote car door opener? There are a limited number of codes available, and they are easy to crack. Same with cordless telephones and older cell phones. And, as is already posted, they but by price instead of by features/quality/security. Car theft could be eliminated with better locking systems, but that would cost a few hundred $ per car, and people don't value that - 'It won't happen to me'

Third, convenience has an immediate payback and security does not. How many people avoid seatbelts or motorcycle & bicycle helmets? Essential for safety, but inconvenient.

No sense being concerned about it - you can't legislate against stupidity. Just protect yourself.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Miller

On 20 Jan 2007 19:10:01 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

More likely careless or clueless. They will tend to get what they deserve. Natural selection at work.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.