Cradlepoint mobile routers: Get N or B/G?

I recently bought a USB dongle to get Internet off cell phone system. Seems to work well

Now I'm kicking around getting a Cradlepoint mobile router for the "dongle".

I have no idea what I need really. Should I send the extra bucks on N model? Do I need 4G as well?

formatting link

Reply to
me
Loading thread data ...

ME-

I have an MBR900 that I use with my Verizon USB data modem. It is

802.11b/g/n compatible. It claims to be "3G/4G Ready", but that is a function of the USB modem, not the WiFi router! It works quite well for my purposes, but is not portable in that it requires an AC power source.

There are three small units listed at your Cradlepoint URL. Only one, the PHS300 is actually portable, in that it has an internal rechargeable battery. In my brief look at the data, it wasn't clear how long the battery will operate between charges, but I'd guess not long enough!

Compared to my MBR900, the PHS300 does not support 802.11n, and does not have any Ethernet ports for things like a network printer. The 802.11n might be important if several WiFi devices were sharing your USB data modem's internet connection or you download large files. Ethernet would not be important for a portable use, but might be at home.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

Thanks for advice Fred!

Question tho.... is CradlePoint the only company that makes routers that support USB broadband dongles?

Supposing portability wasn't that big of an issue and just wanted a plug in router for home use with the USB dongle? Could I get a cheap off the shelf "regular" router that would have USB port for USB dongle..... say Netgear or LinkSys from Walmart or something?

Or is Cradlepoint the best game in town?

Reply to
me

ME-

Yes, there are others. I think Netgear and Linksys both have them, and there may be another brand out there that does. However the ones that support a USB dongle are not the common models. Those may only be available at the larger electronics places like Best Buy, which is where I found my Cradlepoint. You may have to find them on line.

I can't say if Cradlepoint is better or worse than the others.

You already have your USB dongle, but where you got it probably has an alternative called "MiFi". It has the dongle built into a WiFi router, and is referred to as a portable WiFi hotspot. For a fee, they may let you trade your dongle for one of those.

Personally, I prefer having a separate USB dongle for use when WiFi is not needed.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

Ahh..so that's the "distinction".... that not ALL routers can just have a USB dongle plugged into them? That units are needed that have special firmware or provisions to accept and recognize a USB dongle?

Naw.... Id rather do like you... have separate dongle and router rather than an all in one unit like the MiFi

Reply to
me

ME-

Correct. You also need to check for compatibility with your particular USB dongle. The manufacturer's website should have a compatibility link on the product page. I had to update the firmware in mine to work with a new dongle.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

OK thanks Fred! You have been a BIG help in me understanding this!

Reply to
me

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.