Cradlepoint mobile router vs MiFi 2200

I'm thinking that buying a stand alone mobile router and having the option of plugging ANY service into it.... is better than buying Sprint-only Mifi 2200.

Anyone have experience with both and can agree and confirm?

Reply to
me
Loading thread data ...

I believe that Verizon and AT&T also have a MiFi or equivalent available, although it may not be possible to change companies.

I have a Cradlepoint wireless router that works with my Verizon USB modem. It also has four LAN Ethernet ports. I connect one to an HP printer for wireless printing. It would also work with a computer that has Ethernet but not WiFi. Does the MiFi have LAN ports?

I prefer the Cradlepoint approach because I can still use the USB modem by itself with my laptop when away from home. Can the MiFi be used as a USB modem, or does it only work where AC power is available.?

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

I'm thinking the Cradle Point approach is best as well...for the exact same reasons you say above that one can use the dongle alone when needed!

As far as I can tell the MiFi does not have the utility that you mention above....plus would be "locked" into just that one service provider you buy it from (i.e. Verizon, etc)..... agree?

Reply to
me

I agree. But the same is true for the Dongle, as far as I know.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

True

But you can buy a dongle cheaper than a MiFi.... and plug ANY dongle into the Cradle Point yes?

Reply to
me

Before you commit, go to the CradlePoint web site and verify that specific dongle is compatible. It was necessary to update the firmware in my MBR 900, to make it compatible with the Verizon Pantech UMW190VW USB modem.

At least with Verizon, the USB modem would have been "free" if I had committed to a long contract. I chose to purchase it outright, in order to have a shorter contract. The monthly service charge is about $60 per month for up to 5GB of data. The MiFi may cost more if you purchase it outright, but maybe not with the longer contract.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

Yes, the MiFi can be tethered and used as a USB modem and also has a battery to allow for maybe 4 hours of operation as an AP without external power.

There are 2 types of MiFi, the cardless ones that are locked either to Verizon or Sprint and the ones that accept GSM cards for use on ATT or T-Mobile or much and much of the rest of the world. The card-using MiFi's can come locked to one service provider or unlocked. And even the locked ones can become unlocked by the people and companies that do that kind of thing.

The cardless one is the MiFi 2200 and the card-using types are 2352 and 2372.

formatting link
I have a Verizon 2200 and an unlocked 2352.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net chose the tried and tested strategy of:

Do the dongles require different drivers, or are they generic 'class' devices like Mass Storage?

Reply to
alexd

That I don't know

Reply to
me

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net chose the tried and tested strategy of:

I think that's what the whole question hinges on.

formatting link
should be of some assistance.

Reply to
alexd

Alex-

My Verizon dongle is supported by the Macintosh operating system. The Macintosh Network System Preference has a list of drivers to choose from, just as if you were setting up a dial-up telephone modem. I found two or three that worked by trial and error. The one I'm using now is "Generic CDMA". I expect other carriers' modems would also be supported, but have no experience with them.

Verizon has a program you can download. In addition to managing network connections, it can communicate with Verizon and let you know how much data you have used since the monthly reset date.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

Correct

It is the essence of my question I suppose!!

Reply to
me

gee, I was thinking the essence of the question is what *IS* a dongle? (IMO the term "dongle" refers to generic devices from many different manufacturers, that all do specific things, the propietary things IMO aren't dongles)

Reply to
Peter Pan

you just answered your own question, is it "generic" or proprietary?

Reply to
Peter Pan

sorry, neither verizon att etc make wifi, they buy em from novatel wireless registered trademark of novatel....

formatting link
enuf, cradlepoint has TWO types of routers (and their mobile travel router works way different from what was said above... ie the cradle point mobile travel router is different than the cradlepoint home router

see the cradlepoint website

formatting link
and click on products

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.