Cracking WEP and WPA

I would like to learn how to crack Wep and WPA keys. I have tried using Cain, but could not get it to work with my wireless cards. The options under Cain's wireless tab are grayed-out so I assume that it would not work. The two types of cards that I have are listed below.

Type : Trendnet TEW-424UB Wireless USB Nic Chipset: Realtek RTL8187b Wireless LAN USB Nic

Type : 2Wire 802.11g USB Wireless LAN Card

If anyone has any suggestion on how I can crack wireless WEP and WPA keys using my current wireless cards, I would appreciate hearing it. Thanks in advance.

Philip

Reply to
DarkPhoenix
Loading thread data ...

DarkPhoenix hath wroth:

Cain has many parts and pieces. The part that's failing is the capture mode, which requires that the card and driver support the monitor or promiscuous mode. If you can only sniff your own packets, that's the problem. The card and driver will also need to support packet injection, which is used to spew ARP requests in order to generate sufficient unique IV's to capture and later crack. Only a fairly small number of cards and drivers can do that. The RTL8187 has a good chance of working.

Try this AirCrack-NG instead:

For a hint on how to fix the packet capture problem and a list of suitable cards, see:

This may also fix the problem for Cain.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.