couple of WPA passphrase questions

No, the initial passphrase just gives it a place to start when generating the 128-bit session key. However, make sure you choose a sufficiently random key that it's not susceptable to dictionary attack.

Reply to
William P. N. Smith
Loading thread data ...

Will the size of the WPA passphrase impact in any way the speed of data transmission? I would assume decrypting a larger key would take longer but is it negligable?

AFAIK, WPA changes the passphrase every so often automatically. What is the size of the passphrase it chooses, does it have any thing to do with the size of the initial passphrase I created?

thanks

Reply to
speeder

Not at all because the keysize is always the same. The WPA passphrase is for authentication and is not the encryption key.

See

formatting link

It doesn't change the passphrase at all, if you mean the key then yes, they are not the same thing, if it changed it automatically, you wouldn't know what to enter in order to use your machines on the network would you?! :)

formatting link
formatting link
David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Aha! That's what I was confusing, authentication and encryption, two separate "keys".

thanks

Reply to
speeder

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.