Could use some help - setting up cable internet to 2 computers

I have 2 computers for 2 internet users, one a laptop and one a desktop. The laptop is primarily used on a desk near a desk that has the desktop computer. I have a linksys router and the laptop has a wireless card. Also have a Motorola cable modem.

When the cable company comes to enable broadband, do I need any other equipment. How should things be hooked up so that the desktop can get broadband internet and also the laptop can also get to the internet, wired to the cable?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
Les
Loading thread data ...

Is there some difficulty in supplying the model numbers of your Linksys "router"? Can I presume it's a wireless router? If so, this is quite simple.

Nope. The coax cable goes into the Rotomola cable modem. Out of the modem is an ethernet (CAT5) cable that goes to the WAN port of your unidentified Linksys router. You can connect the two computers with either an ethernet cable (CAT5) to one of the 4ea LAN ports on the back of the router, or in the case of the unidentified laptop, you might be able to use wireless if your undisclosed model number Linksys router just happens to be a wireless router.

See above. I would start with an all wired ethernet system and ignore the wireless part until you get that working. The WAN side of the Linksys configuration probably should be set to DHCP. You're header shows Adelphia, so I'll guess that's your cable ISP. Yeah, they use DHCP.

If you're lost, dig through the Linksys online help:

formatting link
blundering onward.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for the reply. Per your request, my Linksys router is model WRK54G, wireless-G ; I have a dell inspiron 5000e laptop with wireless card. While I'm in Florida, like now, I use Adelphia cable; while in Ohio, I use Time Warner Roadrunner cable.

Reply to
Les

To make the cable installer really happy, unplug all the networking. They want to install a cable modem, verify that you can surf the web, maybe set up Outlook Express pointing to your new email account on their server, and leave.

After they leave, they probably don't care if you plug in your router. They are generally clueless about configuring the router, and it might prevent them from getting your system onto the internet. The brighter ones will unplug your router and go directly from the computer to the modem.

When you do plug in your router, you might need to "clone" the MAC address of the PC used to configure the cable, maybe not. Clues vary according to which cable company you have, and which model router you have.

Reply to
dold

Great stuff, thanx. My upstairs neighbor is getting the diy kit from Comcast any day now. Thinks he can set it up himself. Now he sez we can split it, if I check into the legality of doing so. I just checked the Comcast site. They want $150. to network two or more computers. Would you know if it's illegal or unethical to add my pc??

Reply to
JonLeipzig

It's done all the time and nobody seems to be enforcing any type of restrictions on sharing or reselling the bandwidth. See:

formatting link
in part proclaims:

Terms of Use: ix. resell the Service or otherwise make available to anyone outside the Premises the ability to use the Service (i.e. wi-fi, or other methods of networking), in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, or on a bundled or unbundled basis.

x. connect multiple computers behind the cable modem to set up a LAN (Local Area Network) that in any manner would result in a violation of the terms of this Policy or an applicable Service plan;

xx. connect the Comcast Equipment to any computer outside of your Premises;

Home Networking: Use of Service. The Subscriber Agreement is hereby modified solely to permit you to use the Service in connection with the multiple connection of up to five (5) personal computing devices within your Premises to the Service (the "Comcast Home Networking Service")

Note that you have to subscribe to their Home Networking plan in order to qualify for the aforementioned modifications that allow you to connect exactly 5.0 computahs to your LAN. Generous of them. If I have 10 computahs, do I have to pay twice?

Incidentally, Comcast was the company that was sniffing customers internet traffic to determine how many computers were hidden behind a firewall. If they found more than one, they would have some telemarketing mob call the customer and demand an extra $6 per computer per month. That was about 6 years ago, and they haven't tried that again, but that should give you a clue as to their philosophy.

It should be obvious that the attorney's that threw this mess together didn't have a clue as to how their customers actually use a broadband wireless connection. To the best of my knowledge, there are very few of their customers that totally adhere to the Terms of Service and assorted restrictions. My guess(s) is that they just want to make sure they have some excuse to kick you off the system should the need arise. Making everything you do a violation of the contract is a good way to do that.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Oh, darn...it was right in front of me...the terms....that's probably why I didn't see it.....

Thanx, that clears it up.

I heard of peeps networking on their own, but always thot it must be illegal. Think they want a few xtra $$ from each pc, plus the $150 to set up. (includes their router...such a deal)

That Linksys link you posted should be sufficient, but I went back today, noticed a whole Networking Basics section. Couldn't access it, cuz it's only for IE. I use Firefox only. May not need it anyway.

Only confused about one thing...so far. I see constant refs to "network adaptor". This pc already has a "3Com Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller" It looks & sounds like this might qualify as an adaptor.

Reply to
JonLeipzig

It does? The TOS are about as clear as mud and seem to be generally ignored. They may also be unenforceable. The question is not whether you're going to violate them, but to what degree.

The Comcast home networking router is a Linksys WCG-200:

formatting link
's no more difficult to install than a do it thyself kit or pile of components. If you don't chose the Home Networking Package, then you can usually get a substantial rebate on the purchase of the cable modem. Then, you add your own wireless router. You end up with two (or three) boxes instead of one, but you gain the versatility of replacing one or the other when you relocate. For example, wireless standards standards change all the time and the WCG-200 could easily get obsolete overnight. You could move and find yourself with a DSL connection instead of cable. You may want to terminate a VPN in the router, and find the WCG-200 can't do that. Any of these reasons will require replacing the entire investment and starting over. With a component system, you only replace one part.

That's it. You already have an "ethernet adapter" or "NIC". You need that to connect a CAT5 ethernet cable between your computah and the router. It's a good idea to setup or upgrade the firmware of the router using a wired connection instead of via wireless.

>
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.