could someone be using my IP address.

Hi everyone, basicley we have a wireless network in our house and im concerned that someone in my street is using my connection!! does then mean they will also be using our IP address???

any help would be great.

thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
doesnt_work28
Loading thread data ...

In more or less terms: yes.

Look in the DHCP Active Clients/Active IP table of your router. If there are any entries there that don't appear to be on your network, do a release on them and change your WEP/WPA keys immediately.

I'm assuming that you are using WPA and have set a password other than the defaults, in which case there's a reasonable chance you're secure.

Reply to
David Fairbrother

If all you did is ask the experts at best buy for a wireless "thing" and then you took it home and plugged it in the answer is quite likely a yes.

Reply to
George

David Fairbrother hath wroth:

If he had an evil hacker (like me) on his wireless network, that knew what he was doing, the evil hacker would assign the necessary static IP to his wireless client (along with the gateway, netmask, and DNS servers). The evil hacker would never appear in the DHCP lease table. However, the evil hacker will appear in the ARP table (list of MAC addresses and corresponding IP addresses), which unfortunately most cheap routers do not display.

Agreed. WPA or WPA2 is one's primary security mechanism. WEP is next to useless.

However, WPA-PSK has a problem (other than it can be cracked by brute force interation if too short a key is used). The problem is the security of the shared key. If the evil hacker has access to one of the owners wireless computers, a somewhat usable form of the WPA-PSK key can be extracted from the Windoze registry as in:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

So say for example, who ever this is that is a%sehole is thats doing this is sat at home searching through his avalible networks and mine pops up, he then connects to it (at the time it was unsecured) he/she then starts to surf away, will he then be using our IP address, iam concerned as i think this has been happening for a fair few months now.! thanks again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
doesnt_work28

The sure could. They could set in a van outside your home or work and download and upload all sorts of 'bad' stuff. It looks like you were doing it all.

This is why you need to secure any wireless connection. WPA2 is best.

Reply to
Jimmy

Maybe he is using your AP with his IP setting by himeself but not provided by your DHCP.

Reply to
Bin Chen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.