copy a Ciilpboard file for wireless security

I want to copy and paste a random generated WEP/WPA file from the clipboard to my settings on the desktop and the laptop.

But even though I see the generated file on the clipboard, I can not save it in Save AS to a document or text file. And as long as I cannot do that, I cannot copy and past.

How do I proceed?

Reply to
Ritter197
Loading thread data ...

How about opening a blank document or text file, and pasting into that?

Reply to
VManes

I'll assume Windoze XP Home. If you can "see" something in the clipboard, you must determine if it's ACSII text or a graphics screen capture. Try:

1. Open a blank new document in Notepad. Hit Edit->Paste. Did it paste?
  2. If not, open a new drawing in Paint. Hit Edit->Paste. Did it paste?

If Notepad works, then you have a text document and you can do the save as thing. If only Paint worked, then you have a graphics capture and can also do the save as thing.

If you just want to capture the screen, do it this way instead of whatever you were trying to do:

1. Click the mouse anywhere inside the WEP/WPA window to set the "focus" on the proper window.
  2. Hit . Nothing will happen.
  3. Open a new drawing in Paint.
  4. Edit->Paste. You should see a copy of the window you have captured.
  5. Save the drawing.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

THAT is the problem. In clipboard the Copy and Paste is grayed out. Only Delete is active.

Reply to
Ritter197

come on Jeff,,

you know "notepad" is a linux app,,

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Hi and thanks for the detailed feedback. I do understand it, but cannot find anywhere NOTEPAD.

I looked in search for it too and it does not find it.

I have MS Office 2000 and windows XP Pro on the desktop and Windows XP home on the laptop.

Where do I find Notepad?

Reply to
Ritter197

Sigh... Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Notepad

Or: Start -> Run -> Notepad

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks a lot. That works fine now.

Reply to
Ritter197

Notepad is part of Windows basic installation. The only way it can be missing is if someone deleted it.

you searched for notepad.exe?

c:\\windows\\system32\\notepad.exe

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.