Converting a router into a print server?

Is it possible to use my old wireless router as a print server? I have a Westell Wirespeed DSL modem connected to a D-Link DI-524 wireless router. I have an old wireless router, a D-Link DI-713P, that has a built in print server. Is it possible to connect the 713P to my 524 as strictly a print server? I would think it is possible but I have no idea how to do it. Google searches have turned up nothing. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Toan

Reply to
Toan Le
Loading thread data ...

Hello,

Yes, it is possible by cascading the DI-713P to use it's switch function. Plug a LAN port of the DI-713P into a LAN port of the DI-524.

Enter the desired IP adress of the DI-713P in the DI-524's DHCP list. The DI-713P must have same subnet mask and IP in the DI-524's range (i.e.

192.168.1.1 if the DI-524 has 192.168.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0)

If you use something else than WindOshit, remember that the printserver port is IPadress:515 i.e. 192.168.1.1:515

Ciao @+

Toan Le wrote:

Reply to
F8BOE

F8BOE cried out

need to disable dhcp on the 713 also otherwise you will have big conflicts

Reply to
Rosco

Thanks, it works perfectly!

Reply to
Toan Le

One more question, is there any way to connect to 713P to the 524 wirelessly? How would I set that up with all of the security features inplace?

Reply to
Toan Le

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.