Continue of my wireless upgrade

So in my last thread I got some good info. Now I have a new idea. Or two. I've got a router in one building and it runs a wire to another building with a old 10/100 switch. I was wondering if I could replace this switch with another router so the two routers are connected via cable but only one has internet. And both give a wireless connection. Would this work? Or would I have to get a router that supports the "up-link" thing like the 10/100 switch does? Or I could get an AP and plug that into the 10/100 switch gaining another wireless connection with the range I want throughout the property.

I was looking at a couple of routers and AP's. What do you think, and would they work how I want them too?

Routers: TP-Link TL-WR541G -- reasonable price or D-LINK DIR-635 -- pricey, but has N thinga which would match my laptops network.

APs: Netgear WPN802 -- expensive Netcomm Super-G NB600W -- very cheap

And do you think, if another router would work wired into the existing one, that just a cheap router with an antenna and 1w amplifier would be a good option? Would it give the most range?

Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Phizinza
Loading thread data ...

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 00:53:02 -0500, Phizinza wrote in :

Yes. Configure the cascaded router as a wireless access point (as described in the wiki below).

Reply to
John Navas

Simply increasing the gain on one side with an amplifier isn't a good solution as the remote client will hear it, but the AP won't hear the non-amplified client. best to use a higher gain antenna as it will increase the gain both ways.

If you used a bi-directional amplifier, you'll increase gain both ways. Buts that's not going to really help as adding a receiver pre-amp only increases the noise. It might have been Terrabeam that made the comment that they don't add the additional receiver gain added by a pre-amp in their calculations.

Reply to
DTC

Agreed. Good advice.

Correct. I think it was YDI or one of the other amplifier manufacturers that admitted that.

An RX amplifier is useful for reducing the losses caused by the coax cable between the access point and the bi-directional amplifier. Also the T/R switching losses in the bi-directional amplfier. More specifically, the bi-directional amplifier relies on the loss of the coax cable between the access point and the amplifier to operate. Were there no coax loss, the added gain of the RX amplifier would probably overload the receiver front end of the access point, thus reducing its dynamic range and ability to handle strong signals. Since the RX sensitivity of such a system is set by the NF (noise figure) of the RX amplifier, which is not any better than that of the access point, adding the amplifier will NOT increase the overall RX sensitivity. As I vaguely recall, the average gain of the amps in both directions are about 15dB, which means that the coax loss should +be between 10-15dB. At 13dB/100ft for LMR-240, that seems about right.

There's also a question as to where to throw your money. A dish antenna will have 24dBi of gain and cost perhaps $60. A 1 watt amplifier, will have perhaps 15dB of gain in one direction, and cost $200. How many dollars per decibel do you want to burn?

In case it's not obvious, I think amplifiers are an abomination, because they create more interference, create asymmetrical TX and RX ranges, create T/R timing problems, and cost far more than an antenna solution.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I always find it laughable when companies advertise "highest power power" radio, typically one full watt. Since your maximum ERIP is

4 watts, you can only use a 6 dBi gain antenna.

We use 16 dBi gain antennas and back the output power down to only one tenth of a watt. We still get 4 watts EIRP and 16 dB gain on the receive side.

Reply to
DTC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.