Connextion to home network problem

HI there... I am kinda new to wireless so bear with me. Installed a Netgear wireless router recently to "get my feet wet" after 15 years of networking experience with now exposure to WiFi. The router is 801.1 G, everything that is "hard" wired to it runs well. Recently added a laptop to the mix. Now the PC's in the network are all running XP, with one of them dual booting to 98 SE to be able to use an older scanner we have. The laptop is also running 98 SE. The problem is that the laptop can't see the networked resources. It can get to the router no prob since it can reach the web through it. It just can not access the PC on the home network using a wireless connection. If it is directly connected it can access the network resources so I see no reason to change the network itself to enable the wireless to work as well. What am I missing folks?

Reply to
Rick Lavigne
Loading thread data ...

First guess: the laptop is in a different IP subnet when on wireless. Check the IPAs on the laptop and the desktops: on W9x, run WINIPCFG; on XP, run CMD then type IPCONFIG/ALL in the CMD window. For IPA=a.b.c.d, the a.b.c's must be the same and the d's unique; also the masks (usually 255.255.255.0) must be the same.

Reply to
Bob Willard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.