Connection with D-Link DPR-1260 wireless printerserver

Among the approved printers for it are my sister's HP Officejet 5610 - the one I'll be connecting to - and HP Officejet 6110

I'd like to know whether anyone has been successful in connecting HP Officejet 5610 to D-Link DPR-1260 wireless printerserver? By sucessful, I mean, get both wireless printing and wireless scanning working..

Trying to purchase D-Link DPR 1260 online got me to

formatting link
, where I saw statements such as

"The scanner will not work using the software provided by the manufacturer. It only works over the browser interface with limited features." (This is from connecting to approved HP Officejet 6110)"

Btw, what does it mean by "it only works over the browser interface with limited features."

Another customer's comment in connecting with approved Samsung ML-1740 Laser printer: "My wireless router is a linksys WRT54GX2. The print server was extremely easy to set up on my network. I am using WPA security and have my SSID hidden. I did have to call tech support twice due to the normal steps of connecting a printer to the print server did not work." He continues .."Once you have the print server communicating with your network, connect your printer directly to your pc to get the drivers setup. Once this is done, move the printer to connect with the print server. Then you can just modify the printer port settings to point to the print server instead of going through the "normal" dlink method."

So

it seems that normal steps of connecting the printer on approved list to this print server doesn't work *or* the scanner (in the approved printer) will not work using the software provided by the manufacturer. Why?

Reply to
Amanda
Loading thread data ...

On 3 Aug 2006 19:24:27 -0700, "Amanda" wrote in :

This is the same as the HP JetDirect. Not as convenient as integrated software, but it's still pretty good.

You access the scan function with an Internet browser. With JetDirect you can preview, set the type of scan, and download. I assume D-Link is the same, but don't really know.

The network connection isn't the same as a local connection for which the printer software is written.

Reply to
John Navas

[..]

When you say "network connection", do you mean the connection between the print server and the wireless network?

Reply to
Amanda

On 3 Aug 2006 22:17:39 -0700, "Amanda" wrote in :

I mean the connection between the computer and the printer is over a network, rather than a local USB connection.

Reply to
John Navas

Ok.

I'd like to ask you question. I found out from Best Buy that they provide the serive to setup the print server. When I checked out whether it's available in my sister's area and how much they charge, they told me that they would redo the wireless network that her internet service provider has already established.

I don't plan to use their service but I want to understand why do they want to reestablish the wireless network established by the ISP instead of using the existing one since the hardware (the printer and wireless print server) we will provide are compatible.

Reply to
Amanda

On 3 Aug 2006 23:50:24 -0700, "Amanda" wrote in :

If they can't add a printer server to the existing network without altering the network, then they're incompetent.

Essentially because their Geek Squad people don't really know what they are doing. They typically use a scripted cookie cutter approach. I've had to clean up their messes and screwups a number of times.

Reply to
John Navas

Glad to know. I felt the same way.

I am glad to be aware of this.

Reply to
Amanda

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.