Connection visible - how to connect?

Are you trying to connect to an ap or another computer? Ad hoc is for computer to computer.. Why are you using ad-hoc mode instead of infrastructure? (see above, you say you enable ad-hoc mode, but also the network is seen/the ssid is recognized).

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

Can anyone help point me in the right direction ?

I have a desktop system with WinXP, I have installed an IBM Hi-rate wirless PCI card(Actiontec prosm 2.3).

On the task bar I have the graph telling me that the signal strength is good, I can enter the configuration panel and set the SSID, enable WEP key and ad-hoc mode.

The network is seen the SSID is recognised, everything looks good, but no indication as to how to connect to the network ??

Is there another peice of ssoftware that I need ?.

appreciated, Jim

Reply to
jimt

What are you trying to do here? Are you using XP and wireless NIC in ad-hoc mode connecting to another machine that has a wireless NIC too?

Are you trying to connect to a router or what?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Hi guys, sorry been out of town, the ad hoc is a typo(, the setting was infrastructure.

The desktop unit with the High rate Wireless PCI card could only see the access point, signal strength excellent, but i couldn't get it to connect. I already have a couple of laptops connecting to it, so I know it works...

The problem was solved this morning by wiping XP and starting again, i.e. fresh load, I reinstalled the wireless software and had the same problem.

I set up the SSID, enabled WEP, typed in the key. SSID seen but still no connection, nothing obvious in the software to get it to connect. Just out of frustration I selected the network authentication(shared mode) applied it and then removed the setting.

Lo and behold the connection kicked in... so I don't understand why it didn't before but it works now...

Appreciated your comments. Thanks, Jim :)

Reply to
jimt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.