Connection Unavailable Troubleshooting

I'm having so much trouble getting my wireless connection to work properly. Every few hours I'll get "connection unavailable". Then it will reconnect, then disconnect, reconnect, etc. I can't get any kind of consistent connection.

Here's my setup... Linksys WPC54G Wireless Adapter Belkin F5D7230-4 802.11g Router

WPA Security Broadcast off MAC Filtering

I've tried running with Windows Zero Configuration. And I've also tried stopping WZC when the connection was made. Both give me the same results.

Please help. I hate the dropping connections.

Eric

Reply to
Eric
Loading thread data ...

Could anybody help me out with this? I've noticed that my problem comes when other wireless networks become available or someone turns on their router. However, using Network Stumbler, I see that the networks are on different channels than mine.

Mine: Channel 11 Other: Channel 6, SSID = 2WIRE641 Other: Channel 6, SSID = 2WIRE564

Reply to
Eric

Start by turning SSID broadcasting on. And give your network a unique name, not "linksys".

Reply to
Neill Massello

I tried turning broadcasting on, but got the same results. It seems like whenever the other wireless networks come into view of my adapter. It will temporarily go offline and say "Other Wireless Networks Available". Then it will go offline and give me the option of reconnecting with mine or another network. After a few minutes it will eventually reconnect to my network, but by that time, the terminal that I had open to work on another computer on my network has disconnected. Or my vpn connection to my office has disconnected.

It would just be nice if the "Preferred Networks" settings actually did what they are suppose to do. Stupid Micro$oft. My network is the only ssid within the preferred networks. Yet it doesn't stay connected when other networks are turned on.

Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.