Connection problems

Hi everyone, I have a problem with my wireless router or I think I do. Im in the UK and yest got connected to the virgin broadband and bought a netgear wireless router from PC world. I connected it all up ok, well I think so anyway, but every 2hrs or so my laptop will get disconnected from the internet and although it can see my wireless network in the house it wont connect back up to the router, the only way to fix it is to switch the power off to the router for a second or

2 then turn it back on and then the comp connects and everythings fine for another hr or 2 when it will drop again and so I have to do the same thing again. Has anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Reply to
simon9797
Loading thread data ...

I had that problem with Netgear wireless adaptor... the WPN111 which allowed you on with no connection problems for 10minutes, then without any warning dropped out. It didn't matter if there was large amounts of data going through it or not. My solution was to find an older version of the software and as soon as it would let me, dump the netgear wizard and carry on with windows installation. What model number is your router though?

Reply to
BigGirlsBlouse

May be a firmware issue.

Check online for an update for that router. It seems that companies often release routers and stuff with beta firmware to get them out the door and then get to work on the firmware afterward. By the second or third version , it works.

Reply to
seaweedsl

The router is a WGT624v3 and i took it back to pc world yest and exchanged it for a new one but this is doing exactly the same thing so i dont know what im doing wrong.

Reply to
simon9797

Try

formatting link

Reply to
BigGirlsBlouse

You replaced it with the same model router? If it's a firmware issue, then that won't fix it. Try updating the firmware or try a different router.

Reply to
seaweedsl

Hello,

I have had similar problems with the Netgear equipment. My solution -- dump the Netgear and go with Linksys! Way fewer issues and more dependable. True, I went with the latest available firware updates simply due to the availability. Has been very dependable.

Netgear makes some very good switches and hubs but demands on that type of equipment don't compare to access point equipment.

I'm sure you will satisfied with Linksys components.

HTR

Reply to
HT Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.