connection issue

I have a wired router that I use for my main LAN and internet (also use it for voip). I want to add a WRT54G to the first router for wireless internet. I have the wireless router set to a static ip and when I plug it from the lan port on the wireless router to the lan port on the wired router, I can access it through the static ip, no problems. The problem I'm having is wireless clients don't see the access point. How do I get the internet to go from the wired router to the wireless router. I'm assuming I need to set up some sort of static route on the wireless router but I'm lost. Please help, thanks!

Reply to
silent77
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
silent77

Start with a careful description of the problem, stating what you have and how it's connected. Use short, concise, descriptive sentences.

Start new paragraphs when appropriate. Read your text over before hitting "send".

Sorry, but I can't even parse your original missive.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

On 11 Jun 2006 14:15:49 -0700, "silent77" wrote in :

You need to configure the WRT54G as a wireless access point, not a router. See the Wi-Fi How To below.

Reply to
John Navas

I'm assuming:

You plugged the routers together LAN port to LAN port.

You configured the wireless router with a static IP in the same subnet as your main router eg 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2.

You turned OFF the dhcp server in one or the other router (doesn't matter which) and configured the other one to serve out IPs in the same subnet but not overlapping with either router (eg 192.168.0.100+)

You enabled wireless on the wireless router, and you turned off WEP and WPA temporarily.

You tested one of your wireless clients with another WLAN, to prove that the client's wireless is working ok.

You tried netstumbler on one of your wireless clients sitting one foot from the wireless router and got no APs showing up.

If so, your wireless router is dead.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Mark McIntyre wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It *does* matter which DHCP server is switched off. The DHCP service in the WRT54G should be the one to be switched off, otherwise it will issue its own address as the default gateway for client PCs, resulting in all Internet requests going to its (unconnected) WAN port. Wireless clients should then receive their IP address and default gateway setting from the Internet-connected router.

The WRT54G is acting as a wireless access point in this setup. I suspect silent77's usage of the term "access point" was incorrect and has thereby caused confusion - it should read "Internet connection" IMO.

Reply to
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

Sorry I wasn't too clear. The WRT54G is hooked to the lan port of my RTP300 router. DHCP is turned off on the WRT54G. The goal is to make the WRT54G an access point only.

I know the WRT54G works because it's practically brand new and was using it fine before I hooked up my other router. My main router is

192.168.15.1. The WRT54G is set to a static IP of 192.168.15.254. There currently is no security set on the wireless router. The only cable plugged into the WRT54G is a ethernet cable from the lan port into a lan port on my RTP300 (main router).

I tried running netstumber on my wireless laptop and it does not see an access point. I've used my laptop successfully via wireless on the same WRT54G when it is hooked up by itself (without my main router). I can get to internet on my main router but not via wireless on the WRT54G. I have a link light on the lan port of the WRT54G on the port hooked to the RTP300 lan port.

In my understanding, internet is fed through the WAN port on the router. Since there is nothing hooked to the LAN port on the WRT54G, I'm thinking that's why my wireless can't see the internet.

I'll try and follow up with more clarity if need be thanks.

Frazer Jolly Goodfellow wrote:

Reply to
silent77

Reply to
silent77

Reply to
silent77

I figured it out. Some sort of configuration issue on the laptop. Thanks.

silent77 wrote:

Reply to
silent77

Now it is more confusing than ever... Several times above you said you plugged a cable into the WRT *LAN* port, yet you say later your understanding is that the internet is fed thru the WAN port, yet you didn't use it?!?!??!?!?!? Why plug it into a LAN port instead of the WAN port?!?!??!?

Why would you not want to use the router part, yet plug into the router only?! (you said you turned don't want to use the router part, yet that's what you plugged into).. see above "The only cable plugged into the WRT54G is a ethernet cable from the lan port into a lan port on my RTP300 (main router)."

Plug in from your router to your WAN* port................

Reply to
Peter Pan

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 08:06:39 -0400, "Peter Pan" wrote in :

All good.

No, the correct wired connection is from LAN port on RTP300 to LAN port on WRT54G in order to use the WRT54G as an *access point*. THe WRT54G shouldn't be used as a router because there's already a router with NAT and DHCP on the LAN, the RTP300.

Reply to
John Navas

Really, no, it doesn't.

I have configured networks in both fashions and both methods work. Perhaps this depends on how a given router deals with it.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Then either a) your wireless router is dead / disabled or b) your laptop wireless card is dead /disabled.

Try this configuration again, today, to confirm absolutely that both the WRT and lappy wireless are still functioning. .

This is a bit garbled.

Ignore the wireless router's WAN port, its irrelevant. You should have your modem connected to the WAN port on your wired router, and everything else connected together via the LAN ports.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Mark McIntyre wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Frazer

for

work.

Doesn't make any sense to me. With the WRT54G as DHCP server, what value is set for the default gateway address? There's no config parameter for it.

Reply to
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.