Connecting Wireless to Public Server

I am just 1/2 mile from a public library that has an open wifi server.

I would like to connect to it from my home which is uphill from the library.

The wifi in my computer does not even see the library's open server.

Can I do something so that I can connect to the library's wifi from my home?

Reply to
maneater
Loading thread data ...

I could be wrong, but "open" might not mean open to the entire world. It's possible they intend for the network access to only be available to library patrons.

It would be good to ask them that question and get their answer in writing, and then the obvious follow-up question might be to ask them how other people are leeching, err, I mean 'accessing' the network from 1/2 mile away, because if it's encouraged, then surely you aren't the only one who has shown an interest.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, maneater chose the tried and tested strategy of:

Because the wireless signal has to go uphill, you will probably find that a directional antenna will be necessary to get a good enough signal to work with. It's not just distance however, if there are obstacles blocking your line of sight [buildings for example] you may find that no amount of antennas and signal boosters will result in a usable signal.

Reply to
alexd

Right. Only the patrons who live downhill from them. Half a mile is a long way for wireless.

Reply to
Warren Oates

Hi. 1/2 mile is not close but not impossibly far, depending on line of sight and how strong the signal is outside the building. The first thing to do is verify line of sight from somewhere on your property. The next thing is to take your notebook over to the side of the building that faces your home and test it there. If the signal is not even very strong outside the building, then it probably won't make it 1/2 mile.

Then, you do some tests at your house. You will need a wifi radio device which takes external antennas. This could be at the least, a USB client adapter device, or better is a wireless G router that has station/client mode (Buffalo WHR-HPxxx is ideal) or a client adapter/ CPE which is what the wireless ISPs use. A Ubiquiti "Bullet" (plus high gain directional antenna) or "Powerstation" would be a good choice for this also.

If your CPE has built -in panel antenna that's a good start, or else you need a directional antenna of some kind. This is a $100 plus investment needed for testing.

Once you have one of these, you can do a site survey with the radio around your property and watch where the signal is strongest and find out if it'll work.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsl

Do a Google search on the word "cantenna" minus the quotes. This will bring you more information than you care to read about the subject of extended distance WiFi. You will also find out how to build a cheap antenna to use or test with as well as places to purchase commercially made units.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

Be careful with the coax cable on a Cantenna. Kits or "prebuilt" ones often include a lossy cable. A cheap cantenna might be ok for testing, but I suspect you'll need a higher gain antenna in the long run.

Personally, I don't see enough savings to justify homemade (in this case) and prefer to buy proven factory made antennas for long term installation.

Reply to
seaweedsl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.