Connecting Via Wireless & VPN to a mobile computer

Hi there,

Is it possible to use GPRS (or equivalent) to connect to a mobile computer and take control of it with VPN (or equivalent)?

The background is:

The company I work for works with hotels to track guest satisfaction. One of the hotels we work with wants us to install computers in their hotel for the guest to use to fill in surveys/ write comments etc.

We want to be able to update files on the computer and to be able to take control of it via VPN in the event of it malfunctioning as the hotels are in Egypt and we are in Ireland!

Any advice? or suggestions as to the best technology to use?

Thanks,

Kevin

Reply to
KevinFinegan
Loading thread data ...

We don't want to go through the hotels LAN or phone system, apparently (I'm told from past experiments) it is very difficult to get the hotel to play ball with their firewalls or being able to dial out easily. We could rent a phone line and connect it into each PC but thats messy. If we can use GPRS then the PCs can be moved around the hotel reception.

Also with GPRS you pay per packet sent not per second online so the PC can stay on-line all the time if we want.

I (think I) know how you go about connecting from a mobile computer into a LAN, but how do you connect from the LAN into the mobile PC? Do you set a port that the mobile listens to?

Reply to
KevinFinegan

Yes

Dialup? I don't see why you're aiming towards GPRS? Surely these hotels can get broadband so why not use that? Or ISDN. GPRS is pretty slow unless you start multilinking.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Yep

Also true but slow.

Probably, i've never bothered doing it with a phone but most of them support the Hayes command set so I'd expect them to just listen out accordingly. Why not look at a GPRS modem instead of a phone? Something like this?

Or install a phone line in a cupboard with an access point and just use wireless to the device you want to manage. That's going to be easier I would have thought and more versatile.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

I like the idea of the phone line in a cupboard but it depends on what the hotel lets us do.

Thanks for the help.

Kevin

Reply to
KevinFinegan

If you can present the business case, it shouldn't be hard to convince them, especially if you pay the install/rental.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.