Connecting two wireless routers together (by cable)

I have a wireless network in the office at the back of the house, providing shared internet connection using a 2Wire 2700HG ADSL wireless router. The wireless signal isn't strong enough to reach to the front of the house, so I have a CAT5 cable connected to the router, which runs all the way to the front of the house, so I can connect a computer to it to access the local network and the internet.

I happen to have a Netgear WGR614 wireless router. My question is this: Can I connect the Netgear to the end of the cable and thus provide wireless access to the local network and the internet, from the front of the house?

I assume that I will have to disable DHCP on the Netgear and give it a static IP address? Do I assign it an IP address in the same range as the 2Wire, or a different range?

Do I give the Netgear the same or different SSID to the 2Wire? Same or different wireless channel?

Anything else I haven't thought of?

Steve

Reply to
kettletoft.bay
Loading thread data ...

Yes - plug the Cat5 into a LAN port, not the WAN port. You may need a crossover cable.

Yes - do it before you hook up the 2 routers.

Do I assign it an IP address in the same range as

in the same range as the LAN address of the 2Wire, but not in the DHCP range.

AFAICT same SSID, different channel, at least 4 channel "gap" between the 2.

you probably cannot get any "alerts" or logs out of the WGR as Netgear boxes want to send such stuff out of the WAN port.

i have an earlier 802.11B Netgear router (MR814) - i hooked the WAN port to a LAN port locally and gave it another adr in the LAN range - now it can email reports, pick up NTP etc.

Reply to
stephen

Thanks very much - it's working nicely.

Steve

Reply to
kettletoft.bay

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.