Connecting TWO Routers

I have two Linksys wireless routers.

The FIRST is a WRT100 that is connected to the Cable modem. With a LAN IP of 192.168.251.1 and DHCP turned on (range

192.168.251.100 to 149).

The second is a WRT54G. With a LAN IP of 192.168.251.7 and DHCP turned on (range

192.168.251.200 to 149).

I would like to setup the WRT54G on the network and utilize its wireless capability to provide a wireless access point. I have a CAT5 connection available at the remote end to connect back to the WRT100.

How can I configure the WRT54G to accomplish this?

Reply to
jackso95
Loading thread data ...

You want seemless roaming, or just two wap's with different names?

I dropped the idea of seemless roaming and went with multiple ssid's/waps on mine (dhcp on all, but different ssid's Like PPinMD PPinMDB PPinMDC etc) since they are on the same subnets (3rd octet number) but different last addr's (4th octet number) they can see everything else on the network, should be no problem... for multiple ssid's use the router inputs/outputs, do not use the wan input at all.....

Reply to
Peter Pan

Not sure why you didn't go with seamless however to each their own. Anyway to the OP, just turn off the DHCP server on the WRT54G and give it the same SSID and security information as the WRT100. Plug your ethernet cable into a LAN port on both ends and you should be good to go.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Fortunately/unfortunately, have tivo's and a few pda's that only allow WEP, so while I have one ssid/network for public use (internet only), the second (and 3rd/4th with file and print sharing) is private-use wpa-psk

Reply to
Peter Pan

Just turn off the DHCP server in the WRT54G, and cable the two together, lan-port to lan-port. Keep them both in the same subnet (as you already have).

To make life easier, configure the two with different SSIDs and channels.

I use an SMC8204 and a WGR614 in this way. WinXP manages to swap between the two as I walk about the house and garden, with no ill effects.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

This method also works with the Netgear WGR614 (DHCP on) and MR814 (DHCP off). Both are connected LAN port to LAN port. WGR614 gives MR814 an IP address.

However, recently I had a problem with file sharing, where it worked seemlessly for the past year, but recently fell apart. I suspect it is the primary router (WGR614), but I am still troubleshooting. Stay tuned.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
conradinsf

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 18:06:43 -0500, "Peter Pan" wrote in :

"A chain is only as strong as its weakest link."

Reply to
John Navas

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 09:21:09 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" wrote in :

1. Turn off DHCP server in WRT54G
  2. Set a different prime channel (1, 6, 11) in WRT54G than WRT100
  3. Connect LAN port on WRT54G to LAN port on WRT100
  4. Use same *unique* SSID in both wireless routers
  5. Use WPA with same *strong* passphrase in both wireless routers
Reply to
John Navas

In this case though, I read the above as meaning he has separate chains for inter and intranet.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 23:37:10 +0000, Mark McIntyre wrote in :

Isolated? That's not how I read it. I've seen too many cases of someone adding a WEP access point for an old device and compromising an otherwise WPA protected network in the process.

Reply to
John Navas

Yup... and both have internet.... Tivos and some pda's do *NOT* support anything other than wep, so it was a choice of dumping a dozen or so things that where wep only, or running two networks...

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.