Connecting to someone elses Wi-Fi network (w/internet access)!

you know who it is then...

Reply to
bryan
Loading thread data ...

When I do a 'scan' with my wireless network adapter to scan for other networks in range, there has always been one connection that pops up ever since I have lived where I live at (for the past 6 months). The connection strength is between very good & excellent. So I assume it's someone in my building, or maybe even directly across the street, or the building next door to me...I'm not sure but anyways...

Whenever my internet service has gone down (Comcrap AKA Comcast) I always connect to this other network to get back up online until Comcrap is fixed and comes back online. Comcrap is continuing to raise prices of their services and I'm getting tired of paying for it SO...

The general question is: When I have been connecting to this other persons Wi-Fi network (which obviously is unsecured) when I have to sign onto my accounts via the web, is there anyway this person could be getting my passwords and user names (since the transmission is going through his/her connection)? Or does the person need some type of packet sniffer to get my information?

I just want to know if it's safe as to what I'm doing or am I risking my personal information being stolen by whoever's network it is that I'm on?

My opinion I would have to say I'm safe. I mean if someone is dumb enough to run an Wi-Fi network unsecured, chances are they are even dumber with knowledge of how to obtain peoples personal information who might be browsing their network.

Would you agree or disagree with this theory?

But getting back to Comcrap, for the next week or so I'm going to stay conected to this persons network, to make sure that the person hasn't disabled internet access between such and such hours. If all goes well, I'm dumping Comcrap and I'm just going to use her connection to be online I mean why should I pay for it if I don't have to? The cable prices alone are getting out of control, they now charge in my area 50 bucks a month just for basic and preferred that has 66 channels. With the dish networks, you pay around 30 bucks a month and get way more then 66 channels. I'm getting tired of their price gouging. So if I got rid of my own internet connection, I would be saving a good 45 bucks a month which makes me a much happier person.

P.S. If there is such a thing as a packet sniffer where people can read your information that you send across their wireless network, is there any kind of software I can obtain to install on my system that will block them from being able to see it (even with such packet sniffers)?

Thanks.

begin 666 icon_evil.gif M1TE&.#EA#P`/`,00`$5%1?_J`````/_.`/_)`/Z=`/_]$_^T`/\\``/_^D___ MQ_XJ`/YM`Y:6EO_E`/__ZP`````````````````````````````````````` M`````````````````````````"'Y! $``! `+ `````/``\\```5I( ! I&B2 MD+F8CY(D@RHRA:$81J /0\\&(-4!.1P3T``U PB @ZIJQY"T@:#Z;A()H*4!4 MJ5T!X;"E(A#$LY@LO!*_8]' 27=D1\\9K%1LK\\:PZ#@)'*$8#!(B(A"@I``>/

+!UHCC(4FDR@A`#L` ` end
Reply to
Wi-Fi Dude

I'm no lawyer, or legislator (although I am a student of criminology) but you *may* be very wrong. Wi-Fi hot spots all have rules associated with the use of their bandwidth and it's usually reserved for their customers. In any event, they intend to make their network available. I doubt your neighbor has that intention. If it were me, I'd very careful about trespassing. The real issue is "will you get caught" and no one can predict that.

As far as Comcast is concerned, take note: A while ago I called and asked what it would cost to upgrade my cable package from Digital Silver to Gold. I was told they had a special going and that for the next year, I'd get a 50% reduction off the price-more for less! Not only that, they reduced the cost of my Digital Internet from something like $ 41.95 a month to $ 29.95. And all I had to do was ask if they had any specials. Why am I telling you this? Call 'em and tell 'em your thinking of switching to DSL and ask if they have any promotions available. You might find you don't need to be trespassing at all.

Reply to
optikl

LOL, like you wouldn't...

Reply to
Wi-Fi Dude

Uhm there is NO law against using someone elses wi-fi connection idiot! If someone does not secure their connection, it's their problem, not mine. The law can't prosecute me for other peoples ignorance. That's just like you saying that if I use all the free open wi-fi spots across the nation that has no 'security' I would go to jail!

NOT!

Try again moron!

Reply to
Wi-Fi Dude

A lot of wireless user are ignorant on how to protect their wireless set-up from someone like you and and its their fault for not being educated on the how-to(s). I also feel that it's part blame on the wireless manufacturers for not having documantation in the router's user manual or in a seperate booklet explaining wireless security fo the home user.

On the other hand, you're nothing but a low-life snake in the grass for taking advantage of the situation.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

YES they can tell you are on and YES they can figure out who you are!

YES your personal info is at risk. They just need a simple logger.

BZZZT...wrong answer! You KNOW about opions and assholes right?

NO!

Yes there are cheap/free packet sniffers out there, NO you cannot stop one if they use one! You are using their conenction AFTER you would be doing whatever, therefore the last point out is in their system and they can log it and then read the logs and trun them over to the Police. ORRRR they can just steal you blind by using your own codes against you! Remember if you type it, it goes thru their system! That means YOU are opening yourself up to identity theft and doing it ON PURPOSE!!!

You should also be aware that if you are caught you can face a myriad of charges from jail to fines. You are STEALING someone elses bandwidth and that is against the law. Doesn't matter if they are actually using it or not, they paid for it and you didn't! THEY get to choose how it is used.

Reply to
f/fgeorge

No I wouldn't I am not a snake and don't try do dog people out or take advantage of them. I was brought up better than that.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

NO I WOULDN'T! In fact I have SHOWN and talked to people how open their systems are whenever I find them!

Reply to
f/fgeorge

And how does that conversation start?

Reply to
Luddite

This is quite funny. You're stealing someone else's wifi connection, and you're worrying about whether they might be able to capture your private data while you do it. Droll.

Well the answer is of course yes. They could run some free software to capture all your data. And of course while you're connected, they can access your network too, and browse your pron and ripped mp3s.

Or maybe they're a crim running a wifi pharming AP, or the feds running a honeypot, capturing data from the gullible or from petty thieves.....

If you don't know the answer to that question, I strongly suggest you go back to school, and learn some citizenship, or ethics, or whatever passes for being a human being in your neck of the woods.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Er, yes there is. You've been misinformed if you think otherwise. But you could always offer yourself up as a test case, by phoning your local DA and explaining your theory.

This is practically a FAQ. Your argument is factually identical to "its not my fault he didn't lock his car, so its ok for me to take it"

Absolutely it can.

the nation that

I'm wondering if perhaps there's a slight difference between someone accidentally leaving their door open and you stealing their booze, and someone putting up a sign saying "free beer here today"? You don't think?

I suggest you take your own advice.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Actually the last one I sent an email too. Then I called then on the phone. BOTH untraceable of course, but I WOULD have helped them fix their system if they had asked me too. I was in the area and found it by accident while fixing a friends network.

Reply to
f/fgeorge

I don't think your analogy is valid. The thefts you mention were from commercial enterprises who offered services for a fee and the people used them without paying the fee. In this case, the fee is paid to the commercial business.

The issue here is using a connection to an internet service that HAS been paid for.

Also, it seems to me that one could argue that if the consumer did not want their wireless to be shared, they could easily secure or attempt to secure it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Alston

Reply to
D. Stussy

How can one argue the user's ignorance in the security of his or her wireless situation. If the person knew to do it and didn't do it, that would be different situation.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Not by you though. By similar analogy, tapping into someone else's phone line or cable is ok?

Sorry, it doesn't work like that. Just because someeone doesn't fit a front door lock ,doesn't mean you can steal from them.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

So if my neighbor left a dollar each day on the sidewalk in front of his house, would it be unethical to take it? Even if he didn't expect someone else to take it?

Yes, your neighbor can peek at your traffic if you are browsing using their wifi. It's nearly impossible to see the contents of an https page. Usually your banks and retailers use these to protect the information. Remember, that if you buy Internet service, you need to worry about others that may intercept your traffic - somewhere down the connection pipe.

Frankly, many of my neighbors leave their wifi open so that neighbors CAN use it. It's their way to get back at the provider for the lousy service that they pay for.

Your greatest risk is that the neighbor turns on the wireless privacy and your service will be cutoff. You may want to speak with the neighbor in advance; if you know which neighbor it is. Perhaps $10 of $20 a month would make both of you happy.

CJ

Mark Mc>

Reply to
cjtwantstoknow

It occurs to me that here we are trying to teach ethics to a person that OBVIOUSLY has none! If the OP has no feelings of wrongness, then there is little anyone can do. We COULD of course keep any eye on the news becasue the OP WILL get caught and it WILL be in the paper and on the net! Another analogy is the person that runs into the local store and leaves the keys in the car, is it legal to then take that car? OF COURSE NOT! Well you say the car was not locked and the keys were in it AND it was paid for! DOESN'T matter, it is still STEALING!

Reply to
f/fgeorge

Uhm, yes there is a law. Before you shoot off your mouth how it's legal to steal other people's stuff because they didn't secure it...

Check Federal Statute 553.

Unauthorized reception of cable service (a) Unauthorized interception or receipt or assistance in intercepting or receiving service; "assist in intercepting or receiving" defined (1) No person shall intercept or receive or assist in intercepting or receiving any communications service offered over a cable system, unless specifically authorized to do so by a cable operator or as may otherwise be specifically authorized by law.

I would say if your neighbor gets her internet over a cable connection and you are stealing the service, you qualify under this statute since you "receive" a "communications service offered over a cable system" and you are not "authorized to do so by a cable operator".

So Dick Head...who's the tight ass moron now?

Reply to
Fitz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.