connecting to server with iPOD Touch

I have all of my CD collection ripped to a directory on my hard drive. The directory is shared on my wireless and wired home network and I have no trouble accessing it from a number of wired and wireless computers. I received an iPod Touch for Christmas and wanted to know if and how I could download my music to the iPod wirelessly.

Thanks Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE
Loading thread data ...

have you looked at making your home network accessible from the internet? do you have all your stuff ripped as mp3's (ipod usable) wma's (generally not ipod usable)? wonder what file formats work/may work with a bit of tweaking?

see this link for a generic table of file formats and compatibility IPod File Format Compatiblity Guide

formatting link
have to know what format you have your ripped files in, before any answer can be given......

Reply to
Peter Pan

RTFM ?

Reply to
atec 77

OK the ipod connects wirelessly, I can get the local wx and google and watch youtube videos.Yes they are mp3. I can add and play music via the USB cable no problem. I just dont know how to transfer music wirelessly from my server to the ipod or if it can be done.

Reply to
JIMMIE

Dont have one, it is used.

Reply to
JIMMIE

Well have you found the manual or even tried as there is sure to one out there.

Reply to
atec 77

You should be able to find one on the Apple web site.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

I found a manual online but I don't even know if what I am looking for is there or not. So far I have spent over 2 hrs looking to see if I can download files wirelessly and don't even know if the instructions are there or not. They wouldn't be if you can't. Don't know if its not there or I've overlooked it. I don't mean to be rude or sound unappreciative but if you are unwilling to help why bother to reply at all.

Jimmie

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

You will need to use one of the "Apps" that is available. Something such as "simplifymedia".

Reply to
Bob

You may find an app that will, but the PHY rate of the wireless in a touch is a maximum of 54Mbps; over the dock (USB) cable, it's 480Mbps. I'd use the cable.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Fenwick

Methinks this would be a good time to RTFM. It's NOT easy. Docs for

3Gen Ipod Touch:

which does NOT cover the topic.

What you have to do is add the remote volume, drive, directory, or whatever to your iTunes directory list. If the iPod touch can't see your "drive", it's not going to work. Itunes -> File -> Add folder to Library However, before you blunder onward, please read through:

There are some settings that need to be tweaked before this will work.

Incidentally, I have an iPod Touch 2Gen, which has become indispensible. The real fun will be when it's time to replace the battery.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

OK the ipod connects wirelessly, I can get the local wx and google and watch youtube videos.Yes they are mp3. I can add and play music via the USB cable no problem. I just dont know how to transfer music wirelessly from my server to the ipod or if it can be done.

=============================================================

okay cool, mp3's files work with usb cable, and the ipod is actually using the wireless network (default gateway) to access the internet (so you can get google tc)....

thats good, now it's just a matter of making your server a generic server instead of windows only (the network itself ((wired/wireless)) is generic, and can be used by things like windows/linux/macos/unix/etc but devices usually don't see other types of devices on the network, unless it is a generic/public server serving files/info

(sharing a directory, only shares it with similar devices... ie a windows shared directory only works with other windows machines on the network, in effect what you probably want (famous last words probably and assume) is a windows program that acts as a generic/public file server to the network, good news is there are hundreds of em out there for free... but it's not something for your ipod only, it will probably be a windows program

sorry, i happen to use a paid for one ($50) that has a bunch of other cool features (including access over the internet by browser when away from home), so i can't recommend one

Reply to
Peter Pan

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Thanks. Would setting up an ftp site solve my problem. This should get around the mismatched OS problem but I am not familiar enough with my iPod yet to know if I can download from an ftp site and play the music. I am beginning to believe the IPod was only intended to work with the iStore

BTW I have a vision problem that makes wasting the time looking for something that isnt there especially exasperating.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Thanks. Would setting up an ftp site solve my problem. This should get around the mismatched OS problem but I am not familiar enough with my iPod yet to know if I can download from an ftp site and play the music. I am beginning to believe the IPod was only intended to work with the iStore

BTW I have a vision problem that makes wasting the time looking for something that isnt there especially exasperating.

Jimmie

================================================== yeah, join the club, i have a detached retina in my right eye, and poor vision in the other (ie blind in one eye and cant see too well out of the other :)

ftp site, maybe, but you want to try an easier way/way that may work? I am emailing you info to access my file server on my home network, (theres about

50,000 + mp3's on there, along with several thousand music videos) see if you can play stuff from it, if so the software was about $50 ($49.95) if you want to buy it (link to the manufacturers website on main page, or a free trial for 30 days), works when i access it from pc's/mac/linux/tablet/pda/cell phone/etc... so since you can browse to say google, you should be able to browse to it and play mp3's videos/etc
Reply to
Peter Pan

Question....

I want to setup a home server as well but am concerned abt power usage costs since it will be on 24/7

What are the hardware specs of your server? or do you not care abt electricity usage?

Reply to
me

servers usually have to be on 24/7, i use an older notebook i had laying around, and a 1 TB usb drive, and an hp printer (as a network print server, it's on, might as well use it) the three power wall/warts use about 2 amps or 2x120, about 240 watts... (have a wireless network, so it's just a node... i suppose i could turn it/them off, but then again, it's sort of nice having it on at any time (Have laptops, pda's, tablets, etc on the wireless network, and even have people in other times zones using it - works from overseas) can't send you info by email, since your email addy is invalid, but then again mine is jumbled also to stop spam, take out the two NOSPAM 's in mine, and i'll reply with the info if you are thinking of running your own, i tried a lot and settled with this (there is a link on the first/login page to get it for trial or purchase (49.95)... i highly recommend it)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.