Connecting to public hotspots

I am trying to outfit my Windows 2000 laptop with Wi-Fi capability for use on the road. After reading some websites on how to connect to public hotspots, I am still at a loss. Here is what is happening:

My D-Link wireless cardbus adapter installed with no problems. When I launch the D-Link configuration utility in the vicinity of a hotspot, the "Site Survey" function shows the expected connection, to which I then "connect". Now the link status is showing a successful connection ("Associated with..."), and the signal strength on transmit and receive looks good. Now I launch a browser. I tried both IE and Opera. IE just says "Page unavailable while offline". Opera says nothing. According to the descriptions that I have read, at this point I am supposed to be directed automatically to the login page of the hosting wireless ISP. In some cases it should be free, in other cases I might have to pay. But in either case I should see some sort of login page on my browser, but I am seeing nothing. Every other indication that I can find (properties of the LAN in the control panel, status of the link) looks good, as if a valid connection exists. Only the browsers give any indication of a problem by not connecting to anything. What should I do next to make my browsers recognize the connection and go on-line? In the past I have had an Ethernet card in this PC, and I have also used direct cable (parallel port) connections, both of which still show up in the list of network connections along with the new Wi-Fi LAN, although neither of those are connected right now.

-Robert Scott Ypsilanti, Michigan

Reply to
Robert Scott
Loading thread data ...

From a cmd prompt, you might do "ipconfig". That would tell you if you have an ip address from the hotspot. Anything other than 169.x.x.x is probably okay.

Have you used any other wireless connections, like some wide-open connection, or is your normal connection a dialup? In Internet Explorer, go to menu Tools-Internet Options-Connection, Click 'never dial a connection'. That might convince the browser that it should look to the network connection.

Reply to
dold

I'm getting lazy in my old age and prefer to do such things with a GUI. For W2K and XP, download "wntipcfg.exe" from the MicroSloth web pile at: |

formatting link
|
formatting link
's the same as "WinIPCfg.exe" that comes with W98 and WinME.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Actually I had never used this particular laptop for internet access at all. So I looked at all the various network setup functions and did a lot of network setup stuff. I'm not sure what was the key thing, but it's working now. Thanks for the advice.

-Robert Scott Ypsilanti, Michigan

Reply to
Robert Scott

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.