Connecting to multiple different networks with BR350?

We have a Cisco BR350 on our research vessel, which we use to connect to another 350 on shore which is in access point mode. Everything works great in or near our harbor.

However, we often travel to other harbors. Is there any way to configure the 350 to connect to other networks automatically?

I do understand that, at least AFAIK, the 350 in client mode on the ship will only talk to 350s in AP mode. That's not a major problem, we can get other 350s installed in the other harbors. The main issue is the fact that the other networks have different IP ranges, etc.

Of course we could go in and reconfigure the 350 on the ship manually every time we want to connect to another network, but that would be a pain, to say the least. I'm looking for an automatic or at least semi-automatic way to do this.

I plan to have a NAT box connected to the BR-350 and the NAT box would use DHCP to get its own IP once the connection to a new network is established.

Any ideas here?

Thanks.

Reply to
tomviolin
Loading thread data ...

On 21 Jul 2006 15:05:34 -0700, "tomviolin" wrote in :

The BR350 is a bridge, so all that's needed is to configure it for a given access point, SSID and security (if any). The NAT box (router) behind the BR350 should get configured by DHCP from the wireless network.

Reply to
John Navas

~ On 21 Jul 2006 15:05:34 -0700, "tomviolin" ~ wrote in ~ : ~ ~ >We have a Cisco BR350 on our research vessel, which we use to connect ~ >to another 350 on shore which is in access point mode. Everything ~ >works great in or near our harbor. ~ >

~ >However, we often travel to other harbors. Is there any way to ~ >configure the 350 to connect to other networks automatically? ~ >

~ >I do understand that, at least AFAIK, the 350 in client mode on the ~ >ship will only talk to 350s in AP mode. That's not a major problem, we ~ >can get other 350s installed in the other harbors. The main issue is ~ >the fact that the other networks have different IP ranges, etc. ~ >

~ >Of course we could go in and reconfigure the 350 on the ship manually ~ >every time we want to connect to another network, but that would be a ~ >pain, to say the least. I'm looking for an automatic or at least ~ >semi-automatic way to do this. ~ >

~ >I plan to have a NAT box connected to the BR-350 and the NAT box would ~ >use DHCP to get its own IP once the connection to a new network is ~ >established. ~ >

~ >Any ideas here? ~ ~ The BR350 is a bridge, so all that's needed is to configure it for a ~ given access point, SSID and security (if any). The NAT box (router) ~ behind the BR350 should get configured by DHCP from the wireless ~ network.

Also, the BR350 can be configured to be a DHCP client itself.

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.