Connecting to a wireless network

Hi!

Is it possible to use a Wireless Access Point in order to connect a device to an already existing Wireless Network? I mean, configure the Wireless Access Point and then connect a patch cable between the device and the Wireless Access Point.

I think that my question can be simplified into: Is it possible to get a Wireless Access Point to communicate with other Wireless Access Points/Routers? If not, what kind of device should I use instead (an ordinary Wireless Network Interface Card is out of the question).

Kind regards tmk

Reply to
tony.kallebring
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

No model numbers. Must be one of those theoretical questions.

Yes. It's called WDS (Wireless Distribution System). It allows a device to simulaneously act as an access point (for client connections) and to communicate with another similar WDS device, thus acting as a transparent bridge. The catch is that both have to support WDS.

What "device"? Computer, printer, NAS, other wireless device? Sorry, without knowing what hardware you're contemplating or concealing, I can't determine if it will work.

Note that many devices (of all types) have a "client mode" where they act as an "ethernet client bridge" which can connect to an access point. I can't tell for sure, but such a device may do what you're suggesting.

Yes, with WDS and only with WDS. However, if the device has a "client mode", it might also be possible to do something similar.

I have no idea as I have no clue what hardware you have to work with and to what devices you are trying to connect.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.