Connecting outdoor antenna.

Hello -

I have my SOHO WiFi set up using a Dlink G604T with the usual dipole arials and it all works fine, including the printer.

The G604T is permanently on, and any computer can start and be instantly networked and online.

The challenge is to connect an exterior +12dbGain directional antenna to my existing net so I can read a security camera signal from a distant building. This is to be permanently on too, so my preference is to somewhow feed the signal into the G604T router.

The G604T has one only antenna.

Reply to
compac
Loading thread data ...

So another AP on the network (about $50 to $60) is out of the question? Due to budget or not understanding that the router fuction can be turned off in mst APs on the market?

If the budget thing isn't the issue, just add another AP to the current network (plugged into the switch, assign it an IP outside the range your DHCP server is handing out and problem solved. One extra advantage you can make sure the 'new' AP has a connector on the back that is easy for you to attach the antenna. One thing you might investigate if budget isn't too strict, a weatherized AP, the closer (wire wise) you can get the AP to the antenna the better your results will be.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Hey Thanks Rico

Sorry to be thick, but can't see what you mean, If I hook up the outdoor antenna to the AP, how can it then send the signal on to my existing WAP? Would I need a WAP with 2 antenna connections?

"plugged into the switch" - do you mean physically (LAN?) wire it to my WAP?

Reply to
compac

Ethernet cable from old AP with switch to new AP eternet port (crossover maybe required, but with newer switches, unlikely)

AP --------- AP cat5^

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

This is a brick house where I have my SOHO, and the reason for the wireless net is because cat5 cables are not practicable.

I will have an exterior directional antenna off the front corner of the house where it can get LOS signal from the camera, the DLink WAP is at the other end of the building.

I can understand the AP --------- AP cat5^ link OK, but the whole point of this exercise is to avoid the cat5 cable and use wireless.

Reply to
compac

It can't be done - see my many attempts to have the same effect, though in a different setting...

Most recent failure was the thread titled AP access hardware, 1-18...

L8R

Skip

Reply to
Skip Gundlach
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Connect a 2nd AP to your network with powerline networking; e.g., IOGEAR GHPB32W4 Powerline Networking Kit

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.