Connecting linksys router to ADSL

Ahhhhhhh!

I'm having great difficulty in connecting my ADSL line to the wireless router. I've done everything as per my ISP's suggestions and still can't connect to the internet.

I'm unable to access my router to change the settings via the http://192.1981.1 .

Reply to
Matt
Loading thread data ...

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:30:53 +0100, "Matt" wrote in :

Try http://192.168.1.1

If that doesn't do it, please provide the exact model of your Linksys router.

Reply to
John Navas

Sorry I did mean to type in 192.168.1.1

the model number I have for the linksys is: WGA354G -UK

My ISP is Tiscali broadband

Reply to
Matt

"Matt" hath wroth:

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Make and model of your router?

Try: http://192.168.1.1 instead. Do not try to use wireless to configure your unspecified router. Connect with a CAT5 cable. Verify that you have a connection with: Start -> Run -> cmd ipconfig The IP address should be something like 192.168.1.100. The Gateway address should be 192.168.1.1 If the IP address is 169.254.xxx.xxx, something is broken or miswired.

What ISP? Do they use DHCP, PPPoE, PPPoA, or whatever?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:57:10 +0100, "Matt" wrote in :

WAG354G? (It's important to be accurate.)

Are you trying to make a wireless connection or a wired connection? To get configured, it may be easier to do it with a wired (Ethernet) connection. Configure your Ethernet port manually to 192.168.1.100 with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 After configuring your router, restore the Ethernet port to automatic (DHCP) operation.

If you need more help, please do the following: Open a CMD window (Start -> Run, type "CMD" and press [Enter]). Type "IPCONFIG /ALL" and press [Enter]. Copy all the output and post it here.

Reply to
John Navas

WGA354G

I am not sure how to configue the ethernet settings. I've done the IPCONFIG/ALL but how would this help you? As I'm currently connected to the internet via the modem supplied by tiscali. The IP settings would be different. I'd be will to send those details to your email address, but not on the news group.

Reply to
Matt

My ISP is Tiscali and I think the whole of the UK is PPPoA

Reply to
Matt

"Matt" hath wroth:

Yep. PPPoA.

formatting link
Start by connecting to your WAG354G with a wired ethernet connection. Do not try it with wireless at this time. Also no broadband connection is required. Just your computer and the WAG354G. Connect to: http://192.168.1.1 If it doesn't work, kindly disclose the results of: ipconfig (See my previous message).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"Matt" wrote in news:44b27726$1_1@mk-nntp-

2.news.uk.tiscali.com:

No such animal known to Linksys:

Your search - WGA354G (site:www-uk.linksys.com ) - did not match any documents. No pages were found containing "WGA354G (site:www-uk.linksys.com )".

Reply to
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

WAG354G

Reply to
Matt

AFAIK, likewise Google and Linksys, there is no such thing as WGA354G. Is this actually the label on the product?

Configure manual IP address:

IPCONFIG /ALL would tell me what you're got and how it's now configured. I want you to run it when connected by wire to your Linksys product (whatever it is), not your Tiscali modem, for which there is no real privacy or security issue.

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 16:50:10 +0100, "Matt" wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

begin 666 Host Namecurrentconnection.doc MT,\\1X*&Q&N$`````````````````````/@`#`/[_"0`&```````````````! M````) ``````````$ ``)@````$```#^____`````",```#_____________ M____________________________________________________________ M____________________________________________________________ M____________________________________________________________ M____________________________________________________________ M____________________________________________________________ M____________________________________________________________ M____________________________________________________________ M____________________________________________________________ M____________________________________________________________ M_______________________LI````% ```$UI8W)O

Reply to
Matt

Thanks for the info. (In the future, you should use plain text (in your message itself, or a text document created with Notepad) -- encoded attachments are stripped by many news services.)

What you sent appears to be your Tiscali configuration, not your configuration when attached to your Linksys router.

If you did indeed run IPCONFIG /ALL, it seems that you don't have a wired Ethernet adapter, which makes configuration more difficult, since you'll have to deal with wireless issues as well as manual port configuration. I recommend getting a wired Ethernet adapter, even just a cheap USB to Ethernet adapter, to make configuring your router as easy as possible without having to mess with your wireless configuration, which risks wiping out your working direct modem connection. In addition, updating firmware, which is highly recommended in general, should only be done over a wired (not a wireless) connection.

If you do choose to use your wireless adapter to configure your router, then I strongly recommend you first download and install Mobile Net Switch or NetSwitcher , both fully functional even without registration, which should allow you to save your current Tiscali configuration, create a new configuration to talk to your router, and rapidly switch back and forth between them.

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 18:28:30 +0100, "Matt" wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

Thank you for trying to help. I think I need to go on a PC course to understand what you're saying ;-) I think I will just get someone to come and sort it out for me. *reaches for the yellow pages

Reply to
Matt

It shouldn't be terribly difficult. If you connect a wired adapter to your router, configuration is usually automatic. Wireless usually works the same way. Sorry if I made it sound harder than it usually is.

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 20:18:44 +0100, "Matt" wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

update firmware at

formatting link

Reply to
norm

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 11:58:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@here.com (norm) wrote in :

That's the WAG354G, not the claimed WGA354G, the point of the prior post.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.