connecting dg834gv2 & wg602v3

i have 1 dg834gv2 wireless router with wi-fi turned off & DHCP server enabled. & 2 wg602v3 access points.

1 access point connected with a wire to to the router, the other elwhere in the house.

what settings do i use on the access points?

can both ssid's be the same? do i enable DHCP client (factory standard) on both? do I use same channel on both (ch11)? are they both alocated a ip address from the router? or do I have to set them? when setting up WEP, do I use the same on all 3?

I have the one working ok on wi-fi (the one thats connected by wire) but the other, the wireless pcs connect to it ok, but are not alocated with the correct ip address

Roy

Reply to
royc
Loading thread data ...

"royc" hath wroth:

DG834GV2 wireless router: IP = 192.168.1.1 DHCP server enabled. DHCP range 192.168.1.100 thru 192.168.1.149 (or such) SSID = something01 Channel = 1 WPA = abcde...xyz

WG602v3 wireless access point #1: IP = 192.168.1.2 DHCP server disabled. SSID = something02 Channel = 6 WPA = abcde...xyz

WG602v3 wireless access point #2: IP = 192.168.1.3 DHCP server disabled. SSID = something03 Channel = 11 WPA = abcde...xyz

Yes, but make them different first until you're done testing the coverage of each access point. The idea behind making them all the same is to allow you to try seamless roaming between access points. This is more an issue with the client radio than with the access points. Using them on different SSID's will allow you to specificially choose which radio you're connecting to. When you've determined that each of them is working as expected, and you've determined if there's any overlap in the coverage patterns, then change them to all the same SSID.

Selection of channels is also a problem. With 3 wireless devices, on all 3 of the non-overlapping channels, you've successfully occupied all the available spectrum. The reason for different channels is to avoid mutual interference. If you do NOT have any overlapping coverage, then you can use the same channels for these access points. The problem will be if the neighbors are using one of these channels and you need to find a clear channel. If you only have one wireless laptop in the house, it's not so much of an issue as the mutual interference is only a problem when moving data. However, if there are multiple wireless devices around, you should make an effort to find a clear channel. Incidentally, Netgear Autocell does this automagically, but costs money.

formatting link

Please do not use WEP unless you have no alternative. WEP is terribly insecure. Use WPA-PSK or better yet, WPA2-PSK. The WPA key should be the same for all access points.

The WG602v3 access points should deliver a DHCP assigned IP address from the main wireless router. There's not enough information supplied to determine why it's failing. Try temporarily turning OFF WEP/WPA encryption and see if DHCP works. Also, check if you have the latest firmware installed on the various devices including the wireless client.

Also, you might want to have your keyboard repaired or replaced as the shift key appears to be broken.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.