Connecting but no internet!

Hi All,

I hope you can help me. Iv been racking my brains over this for the last few days but noone seems to be able to sort this!

The scenario is this, im renting with 3 other friends. We have a belkin wireless G router with a connection that is not encrypeted or anything. All of our computers (inc my laptop with netgear pcmcia card) can connect to it perfectly.

I recently bought a desktop and tried using this adapter: NETGEAR WG111

54MBPS WIRELESS USB 2.0 ADAPTER

I have a strong signal and can ping the router and all but one of the other computers. (The only computer i cannot connect to is my friends desktop who is wired directly to the router).

So far so good.

Only problem is that i cant access the internet for some reason! the wierd thing is that i installed the same adapter on my latop and successfully got internet connection!

Iv made sure mac filters is off.

Iv tried disabling all firewall - windows and norton internet security but still dont work.

At best i get the google home page. All other websites times out.

Id really appreciate if you could please help me. Before buying this adapter i tried the belkin usb one but i had the same problem. I thought it might have been the adapter so had it exchanged for this netgear one mentioned above.

For software, im using netgears own wireless utility. - it worked fine on my laptop!

Im really confused! Please please help

Thank you

Reply to
Someone
Loading thread data ...

They have nothing to do with it.

At best you have a cached page that's on the computer that makes it look like you have a connection. The machine doesn't have any connection to the Internet based on the *All other Websites time out* statement you have made.

If you do IPconfig /all at the DOS Command Prompt and the IP is 0.0.0.0, you got no IP from the DHCP server on the router or if the IP starts with 169.254, then the O/S timed out and assigned the IP to the NIC. The 169 IP will allow the machine to access other machines on the LAN but it will not allow the machine to access the Internet, since it never got an IP from the DHCP server on the router. In either case 0 IP or 169 IP, the machine never got an IP from the DHCP server on the router that's going to allow the machine to assess the Internet, like the other machines that have an IP from the router and they can access the Internet.

The card is defective, the router is defective or you have some kind of mis-configuration between the router and the NIC. I leaning towards the mis-configuration. You can have 1000% connectivity between the NIC and router wired or wireless, but if the machine doesn't have an IP issued by the DHCP server on the router or the machine's NIC is not configured to use a static IP on the router, NO - Internet connection.

I suggest you get on the phone with Netgear tech support.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Sounds like a DNS problem. Set it to the address of the router.

Reply to
Steve

hi thank you for your replies, please keep them coming.

My IP is correct. It is set to obtain automatically and starts with

192.168.2.2 where the router is 192.168.2.1 The subnet on both is set to 255.255.255.0

Im really confused! Steve, how do i set it to the address of the router. So i manually set my comp IP to 192.168.2.1?

Reply to
Someone

Iv noticed that when i boot my comp up and start IE, it starts loading up my homepgae really fast but dramtically 'slows down' before it can fully load.

I take it that its some setting on my comp but im totally bummed as to what it is. Iv tried everything from changing the settings to disabling my firewall but to no luck.

The signal strength is strong so its not a problem with the adaptor. please help

Reply to
Someone

Hi, sorry does anyone else have any information on this.

Iv noticed that when i start my computer up and open IE, the page starts loading up really quickly but before it can complete loading it dramatically 'slows down' ending in a time out.

I believe its probably a setting on my comp but am bummed as to what it is. Iv tried everything from changing my browser settings to disabling my firewall.

Please help

Reply to
Someone

Try clearing your cache.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

William P.N. Smith hath wroth:

I tried that once. I emptied my wallet and pockets of all my cache. It didn't help.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

8*) Don't forget to clear your virtual cache by reverse-mortgaging your future Social Security checks. 8*)
Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I can't. My I/O buffer has turned into my IOU bummer.

Another 5 or so years and I get to become a genuine social security recipient and drag on the American taxpayer. I can't wait.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I have the same problem. it's a configuration issue that i can't figure out. linksys has been no help, other then to send me another device. which is - er - not configured right either. obviously.

Reply to
jay.leibowitz

Cool, then we _can_ say we're paying your 'salary', and force you to work long hours in this newsgroup answering inane questions! [How that'll be different from today I don't know exactly... 8*]

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Erm,... I think we should have a probabtionary work period whereby we can see if he/she is up for the job. Heres what your first assignment is,... HELP ME! Still not able to connect. Had a look at the netgear website but wasnt much help! I can connect to the router, theres no IP or MAC filtering but i dont get internet.

My Wlan is working properly and making best of use by playing age of empires against my flat mates. buti need INTERNET! :(

Reply to
Someone

Le Sun, 05 Mar 2006 08:04:21 -0800, Someone a écrit :

Did you check your DNS ? can you ping your AP ?

Pan.

Reply to
ZadoZ

Yes i can ping my router and all other computers. Iv even played multiplayer gaming on LAN. but i cant connect to the internet! I dont think its the adapter because it works fine on my laptop. I think its my computer, and even then more specifically something to do with wireless. I get internet when i connect my desktop by wire to my laptop which is successfully getting wireless internet. But im not getting internet access when using the adapter on my desktop!

Reply to
Someone

Post all the IP address configuration of everything.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

My IP: 192.168.2.2 Router is 192.168.2.1 Subnet 255.255.255.0

Reply to
Someone

No need to start a new thread, in fact difficult for anyone not keeping up.

Right and what about the address of the router on the WAN side? Are those addresses above assigned manually or via DHCP?

Reply to
David Taylor

Obtained Automatically.

192.168.2.1 is the Belkin wireless modem router.
Reply to
Someone

So what's the external WAN address? There will be an option to display it somewhere.

What's the DHCP range?

You can also quote a bit of the previous message, helps tremendously. My newsreader hides messages that i've read so all that I see is the subject of the new message and the content. With no quoting there comes a point where it's just too much effort to keep up.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.