Connecting a wireless router to a adsl modem

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here can shed some light on a problematic issue for me?

A friend of mine has a DI-624 wireless router which he is trying to connect to the internet via a BT Voyager 205 ADSL modem but he's experience huge issues.

Can anyone help advise what we should do to get things working?

The ISP is Bulldog, if it makes any difference.

Kind regards,

Crucifer

Reply to
Crucifer
Loading thread data ...

Could you be a bit more specific? For instance, what OS are you using? Other than the ASDL modem, what device(s) (MAKE and MODEL) will be connected to the DI-624? What specific problem(s) or 'huge issues" are you experiencing? Are the problems associated with accessing the internet, sharing files, enabling encryption, etcetera? Answering these questions will greatly improve your chances of finding assistance in solving your problem(s).

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Ok... The OS of the primary pc is Win98.

Apart from the BT Voyager 205 modem, there won't be any other devices except for a laptop using the wireless card that came in the bundle.

At the moment, we really need help with how to set up the wireless router with the ADSL modem so that we can connect to the internet.

We've tried setting up PPPoE on the router and disabling DHCP (and giving the pc and router a static ip address that fits on the ip network of the modem - i.e. 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.250) so that the router has the username and password of the isp connection, all to no avail.

The best we've accomplised is getting the pc to be able to ping the modem AND the router but for some reason, the router cannot bring up the connection details of the modem - i.e. it says connecting but that's it...

Once again, any help with advising us possible steps would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Crucifer

Reply to
Crucifer

Tell your friend how to find this group and we can ask him questions and give answers. You not knowing anything about it might confuse matters.

Reply to
steve

Be sure to set the adsl modem as a bridge.

Reply to
johnny

Hi Steve,

Although it's his modem and router, he's asked me to get it working. He's not very savvy when it comes to computers.

I've also been around his house for about 2 hours struggling to see why things won't work so I do know the lay of the land with his internet connection issues.

Reply to
Crucifer

Johnny,

Ok... er how do I do this?

Will it be an obvious option in the web config page or need i do something particularly finnicky?

Thanks

Reply to
Crucifer

According to

formatting link
the BT Voyager 205 is an ASDL Router containing one USB and one ethernet socket. Connect the DI-624 to the BT Voyager 205 via ethernet cable (LAN port to LAN port). Disable the DHCP on the DI-624. The BT Voyager 205 "should" assign an ip address to the DI-624. Plug the laptop into the DI-624 via an ethernet cable. Make sure that it is set to obtain an IP address automatically. You should be able to get on the internet.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Hi Doug,

I also tried that - mimicing a WAP I think the manual I checked called it but that also failed to work. The router shows that it's trying to get an ip address and connecting but that's as far as it gets.

I know the modem works because when connected to a pc I can get onto the internet but not through the router.

Is there anything else more in depth I can try regarding the router - to test it?

I've asked my IT Department if I can "borrow" a broadband connection to see if the router can actively get a connection to the internet - I'll post back here how I get on.

Thanks again guys for all the advice and input, it's very much appreciated!

Reply to
Crucifer

Ask tech support at ISP how to do this. THe manufacturer website does not list info in Tech support for consumer/end users.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Being that you can connect your pc directly to the modem, but not when your pc is connected to the router first, try this: In your router's web interface, clone the MAC address of the PC then try connecting to the internet. Many ISPs register the MAC address of the PC that is connected to their modems and, oftentimes, won't allow an unregistered MAC access to the web. Hopefully, this will take care of your situation. If not, we'll try something else.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Doug, thanks. I checked with Bulldog but they don't set up their lines by MAC addreses...

Otherwise, I tried bridging but that didn't seem to work. I did discover that Bulldog uses PPPoA and not PPPoE so maybe we need to try dynamic IP addressing instead.

Steps left to us:

Set the modem up as normal, with an IP address of 192.168.1.1.

Router - set ip statically to 192.168.1.5 and clear it as DHCP server. Set it to Dynamic IP addressing and obtain IP address from modem.

PC - set ip statically to 192.168.1.10.

Thus far we can ping the router and modem and the router accepts an ip address from modem but we still can't connect to the internet....

Thanks guys but if this doesn't work I'm going to suggest to my friend that he should call it a night and perhaps sell the modem and router on ebay and just buy one total package.

Thanks for all the help, it's been very ... educational :)

Reply to
Crucifer

How the connection to Bulldog needs to be made makes a difference in how you need to configure his system. These instructions assume a standard PPPOE connection and that no special login software is required to make the connection to the ISP.

With the ADSL modem connected to the WAN port on the Di-624 there is no way for any computers on the LAN side to connect directly to the modem. Normally in this configuration the router would establish the connections through the ADSL modem according to the user's preference. Any pre-installed connection software or PPPOE interface in his computers becomes redundant. The LAN IP of the ADSL modem becomes irrelevent unless you connect the computers directly to it. Without changing anything the Di-624 will connect to the modem whatever IP it has.

With the ADSL modem (turned off) connected to the WAN port on the router:

Configure the router using a computer connected via ethernet. Reconfigure his computer(s) to connect to the internet via LAN. Even if he normally has to log-in to his ISP select the always-on connection options.

Browse in to the DI-624's web interface. Reset the router to its default values on the Tools tab, System button. The default address for the router will return to 192.168.0.1. If the computer is configured to use DHCP addressing you shouldn't need to do anything to it but if it has a static IP in a different address range you will need to reconfigure TCP/IP to match the router. Reconnect to the router's web interface at its default address.

On the Home tab in the DI-624 interface, configure the WAN settings. Select PPPOE and enter in the Username and Password he uses to access his ISP. Most ADSL ISPs use dynamic IP so select the Dynamic PPPOE radio button. For Connect mode select Connect on Demand or Always ON. The other options on this page can often be left blank but you can enter in the ISP's Primary and Secondary DNS addresses in case those are required. Same for Service Name. Click Apply to save the settings. Follow the prompts till you get back to the settings pages. Power down the Router. Turn on the ADSL modem. When the modem status LEDs show that it has synched up, power up the router. If you selected Always On for the connection mode the router will initiate a connection to the ISP immediately after powering up and the internet connection will be established. If you check on the Status tab (Device Info) the router will show that it has an internet address. If you selected Connect on Demand the router will initiate a connection as soon as a computer tries to access an internet address, ie via browser, time synchronisation, applications calling home etc.. If you selected Manual connection you'll need to click the Connect button on the Status tab. No auto-refresh on these pages so you'll have to manually refresh to see any status changes.

Log back onto the DI-624 configuration pages. On the Home tab configure the LAN settings. Leave the default IP address at 192.168.0.1. Select DNS Relay Enabled. Click Apply and follow the prompts.

Still on the Home tab configure the DHCP settings. Whether he wants to use DHCP addressing on the LAN is up to him but it makes things simpler to enable it. If he needs any computer to always have the same address he can subsequently configure Static DHCP. Select DHCP Server enabled. Set a range of LAN addresses to be used. The defaults allow for about 100 addresses but you can set whatever range you prefer. Ignore the Static DHCP options for now and leave it disabled. Click Apply and follow the prompts. (By now you should already be able to access web sites on the internet using the computer browser.)

Still on the Home tab, switch to the Wireless button. Until you confirm that basic connections are functioning properly, leave the wireless security turned off. You can come back to it later. Radio should be on by default, if not select it. Enter an SSID and set the channel to auto-select. Select Enable for SSID broadcast and disable for G-only and Extended Range. The options available on all of these tabs will vary somewhat according to the firmware version that is installed in the router so I have to keep this fairly general. At this stage we don't want to limit connectivity in any way so basically don't enable/disable anything that might block his wireless PC from connecting. Click Apply and follow the prompts.

After the router reboots log into it again and select the Advanced tab. Click the Performance button. The defaults should be fine but check that TX rate is set to Auto, Power at 100% and CTS is Auto. If you changed anything click Apply, otherwise switch to the Tools tab.

On the Tools tab click the MISC button. You can customise these settings later as needed but for now just set WAN select to use 10mbps. Usually automatic speed selection works fine but some modems require this speed to be locked in. Click Apply.

On his wireless computer set the connection and security options to match those of the router. The router's SSID should become visible immediately. Assuming that the computer connects to the router and you can access both LAN and the Internet go ahead and reconfigure the wireless security options. It may seem obvious but be careful not to set modes in the router that the wireless adapter isn't capable of, and vice versa. If you've still got a working wireless connection go ahead and customise the other router configurations. Don't tweak anything unless it is neccessary. Some of the options on the Tools tab, MISC button in particular have security implications. You may want to block Ping from the WAN side and also disable UPNP and Gaming mode if they aren't needed. Password protect the configuration interface on the Tools tab-Admin button.

Dlink USA web support has detailed instructions for stealthing the router and how to configure it to work with many specific applications.

Reply to
RalfG

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.