Connecting a wireless capable ThinkPad R51 to a wired home network.

Greetings,

I just bought an IBM ThinkPad R51 1836 Q4U. I would like to use its wireless capability and connect it with the wired home network I have already set up.

I have two computers running Windows XP SP2 connected to a SMC 10/100 Mbps Broadband Router model SMC7004ABR which is connected to Time Warner's Motorola SURFboard SB 4100 Cable Modem which, of course, is connected to Time Warner's cable running in my home. IP address obtained automatically. The computers are sharing the Internet connection and two printers.

What do I need to add to my home network in order to use the wireless capability of my ThinkPad R51?

Thank you in advance for your help and comments,

Leigh

Reply to
Leigh
Loading thread data ...

IBM ThinkPads come with IBM Access Connection which will walk you through the wireless setup and configuration. If you didn't update your laptop to the latest version, I suggest you do so first: |

formatting link
proceedure and inevitable bugs are in the docs at the top of the page.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Oh, I assumed that you already had a radio in the Thinkpad R51.

If you want an internal adapter, you have a choice of the overpriced IBM Mini-PCI cards for the R51 or taking your chances with whatever you find on eBay. See: |

formatting link
I would go with the Intel 2200BG which is what IBM currently supplies with the R series laptops. You can find them on eBay for about $15.

Here's the video of how to install the card: |

formatting link
|
formatting link
17 screws to remove. Ugh.

Here's the approved list of devices: |

formatting link
If your Mini-PCI slot is already occupied by a modem, Bluetooth, or other device, you can always use any PCMCIA or USB radio. There's no limitation on which one will work in the R51. Only the internal Mini-PCI cards are a problem due to the required BIOS support.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff,

Thanks for your response. I did not make my question very clear in my original post, sorry. I believe I need to attach some sort of a device to modify my wired network to accept a wireless connection. My current network is all hard wired. What sort of a device do I need so I can use the ThinkPad with a wireless connection on my home network.

Thanks again in advance for your help,

Leigh

Reply to
Leigh

Argh. I also assume you already had a wireless router. Sorry, I misread your question, twice. I wasn't sure how to interpret "wireless cableable". From here, it's like "wireless ready" which means that it *CAN* do wireless, but it's not supplied or installed. Before you write me off as a total idiot, please note that you did not supply any information as to what equipment you have to work with.

As the other poster suggested, a Linksys WRT54G will work just fine. Your news header shows that you're on Road Runner which means you have at least a cable modem and cable broadband connection, and possibly a router either built into the modem, or seperate.

The WRT54G can be configured in several different ways.

1. It can be used as a router in addition to the existing cable modem to provide connections to more than one computer.
  2. It can be added to an existing ethernet router to form what's called "double NAT". This will make networking between the laptop and other computers on your LAN difficult.
  3. The WRT54G can be converted to an access point by: - disabling the DHCP server - setting the IP address to something in the range of your existing routers IP address range. - ignoring any connection to the WAN port on the WRT54G. If your existing cable modem has a built in router, this is my recommended configuration.

Also be advised that the WRT54G has a variety of alternative firmware with better and less buggy features. I suggest (free) Alchemy by Sveasoft.

formatting link
Anyway, some clue as to what you already have in your network would be helpful.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You were clear enough. All the info was there in your original post. I'm not sure why I didn't see it. Probably too many windows open at the same time and far too many interruptions today. Please accept my humble appologies and thank you for your patience.

4th try. Maybe I can get it right this time...

I see two ways to do this.

1. Replace the SMC7004ABR with a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. As far as I can determine, most of the non-wireless features of both routers are the same so you won't lose any capeabilities. It also has the advantage of simplicity. However, if you're using the printer port on the SMC7004ABR, you may need to leave it in place and use the
2nd method.
  1. Use the WRT54G as an access point and ignore its router features. This has some real advantages. You can turn off the wireless part of the puzzle without affecting the SMC7004ABR router. When you're not using the wireless (such as when you're not at home), there's no need to have it turned on. It also allows you to locate the WRT54G high up in the room (usually on a shelf) and away from the inevitable rats nest of CAT5 wires that tend to accumulate near the ethernet router. All that's required is power and one CAT5 cable to the WRT54G. The higher location of the WRT54G will give you better range. If you're using the printer port on the SMC7004ABR, then you should probably use this method.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You need a WAP (wireless access point). Simplest thing might be to just replace your router with a wireless one. Something like the WRT54G or similar product. Those products are a router, an access point, and 4 port switch all rolled into one. Does your current modem and router connect via CAT5 cable?

Reply to
DanR

Dan,

Thanks for your response. Yes, I do connect with a CAT5 cable. My ThinkPad has an Intel PRO/Wireless 2200NBG (802.11b/802.11g).

Is the WRT54G made by Linksys? I will check out their website.

Thanks for your help and support.

Leigh

Reply to
Leigh

Yes, it's a Linksys 802.11b/g device and that's what I own. I actually have the WRT54GS which "maybe" can speed things up a bit if you have compatible hardware at your wireless computer. I'm not sure if the WRT54G has the SPI firewall capability whereas the 54GS does. Once you decide... shop around. The Linksys units usually go for around $50 - $60 at places like BestBuy with a rebate. They seem to be on sale every other week.

Reply to
DanR

Yes, it's a Linksys 802.11b/g device and that's what I own. I actually have the WRT54GS which "maybe" can speed things up a bit if you have compatible hardware at your wireless computer. I'm not sure if the WRT54G has the SPI firewall capability whereas the 54GS does. Once you decide... shop around. The Linksys units usually go for around $50 - $60 at places like BestBuy with a rebate. They seem to be on sale every other week.

Reply to
DanR

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your response and resources.

Here is my original post:

I just bought an IBM ThinkPad R51 1836 Q4U. I would like to use its wireless capability and connect it with the wired home network I have already set up.

I have two computers running Windows XP SP2 connected to a SMC 10/100 Mbps Broadband Router model SMC7004ABR which is connected to Time Warner's Motorola SURFboard SB 4100 Cable Modem which, of course, is connected to Time Warner's cable running in my home. IP address obtained automatically. The computers are sharing the Internet connection and two printers.

What do I need to add to my home network in order to use the wireless capability of my ThinkPad R51?

Thank you in advance for your help and comments,

Sorry I was not clear with what I already have in my network. However, between your post and Dan's post I now have a good idea of what I need to do.

Thanks again for your response and help.

Leigh

Reply to
Leigh

Jeff,

Thank you very much. I really like the set up in number 2. I will pursue that method. I do not use the printer port in the SMC router. However, I do like that feature.

Thanks again for your help and your comment. I really appreciate your insight and your ideas.

Leigh

Reply to
Leigh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.