Connecting a BEFW11S4 Linksys Router to Motorola Surfboard

I am trying to connect a Linksys wireless router to an existing Motorola Surfboard SB5100 Cable modem in order to use wireless.

I have connected the Ethernet port on the Motorola to the first Ethernet port of the "LAN" ports, like connecting two hubs. If I connect my PC to second Ethernet port on the Linksys the internet connection works fine - proving that the connection between the two are fine. My PC is given my DSL IP address, 84.x.x.x

When I connect via wireless to the Linksys I cannot use the internet; this might be due to the fact that the wireless card is provided an internal 192.168.x.x address provided by the router, and not the public IP address.

What do I need to do to make this work? Maybe I need to create a static route between the 192.168.x and 84.x networks on the linksys?

Any help would be appreciated. Hutton

Reply to
h_henry
Loading thread data ...

Wrong.

Yep. Your creative wiring has effectively turned your BEFW11S4 into a hub. Nice work.

Also due to the fact that there's nothing connected to the WAN port on the BEFW11S4.

Start by reading the instructions. That's the little piece of paper included with the router full of legal disclaimers and aritistic renderings of what you have in front of you. There should be a pictorial of where the wires and cables go.

Basically, you run a cable from the SB5100 ethernet port to the WAN or Internet port on your BEFW11s4. You plug your computah into one of the LAN ports. Point your web browser to: http://192.168.1.1 and check the "Status" page. It should show your 84.xxx.xxx.xxx routeable IP addresses from your ISP. The rest is configuration which should be in the instructions.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You should connect to the WAN port of the Linksys.

You would need a cable modem configuration that supplied more than one IP address. If you connect to the WAN port of the router instead of the LAN port, all of the PCs will get addresses supplied by the router, and appear to the cable modem at a single IP address, the one you are now seeing on on PC.

You might need to clone the MAC address of the working PC into the router.

Reply to
dold

The router came with a manual and you should read it. :)

The link shows what a NAT router does if you use it correctly.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Reply to
h_henry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.