Connected but no IP address

After connecting to my wireless network (LinkSys 2.4Ghz 802.11b router) for months without issues, I'm suddenly finding that my laptop (Compaq Presario R3000 running XP Sp2) can no longer get an IP address. The NIC (Broadcom

802.11b/g WLAN) reports connection to the correct wireless network name, speed shows 11.0 Mbps and signal strength shows "excellent" but it is unable to complete the DHCP negotiation with the router and ends up with an APIPA (169.254.0.0) address. I've updated the driver to the current version available from HP. Device Manager shows the NIC as functional and I see no related errors in the system event log. I have three other machines (desktops) connected to the LinkSys router and all are functioning properly.

Any idea would be appreciated.

Reply to
Goshi Key
Loading thread data ...

Do the following: go to the command prompt (Start->Run->cmd) and type: ipconfig /renew

Try the above and it will get an IP address from the DHCP server.

Reply to
George

"Goshi Key" wrote in news:CUmWd.41354$Tt.20275@fed1read05:

It could be something is mis-configured with the wireless NIC, wireless router, the wireless on the NIC may be going out, or the wireless on the router may be going out. If you can connect the laptop with a wire connection does it get the 169 IP? Is the router properly protected by with a UPS/AVR device as the router will start going defective if not protected properly from power fluctuations on the line from household appliances turning on and off all the time?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.