Connect Linksys BEFW11S4 to Linksys WAG54G network

Hello.

I have a Linksys WAG54G managing my wireless network and DSL dial up.

I have an old BEFW11S4 that I wish to use as an Access Point on this network so I can plug a Linksys NSLU2 storage access point in to it and therefore onto my network.

I do not want to plug it in to the WAG54G because the WAG54G has limited space around it.

How do I configure the BEFW11S4 so it will sit on the network managed by the WAG54G?

Any help appreciated.

Reply to
Dr Richard Slater
Loading thread data ...

Ok. You want to add an access point to your network for additional coverage.

1. Since the BEFW11S4 does not support WDS protocol, you'll need to run a CAT5 ethernet cable between a WAG54G LAN port, and a BEFW11S4 LAN port. I think (not sure) that the LAN ports are self-configuring and that a cross-over ethernet cable will not be required. Check the lights on the front panel to be sure you have a proper connection.
  2. Connect to the setup screen of your BEFW11S4 router. If your WAG54G has an I address of 192.168.1.1, then your BEFW11S4 should be set to 192.168.1.2 (or something in the same class C network that does not duplicate the WAG54G IP address).
  3. The WAN port of the BEFW11S4 goes nowhere.
  4. Disable the DHCP server in the BEFW11S4.
  5. Set the SSID to be the same on both wireless devices.
  6. Set the channel number to be different (1, 6, or 11) between the two wireless devices.
  7. If using WEP, set the WEP config and key to be the same on both wireless devices.

That should do the trick. Whether your wireless clients can roam effectively between the two wireless access points is a feature of the client device and its software. Some do it very well, others need to be brutalized into roaming effectively.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.