Confused someone please explain this to me----

With my wireless connection when I hold mouse pointer over 'connection' in system tray it says 54mbps. Results of speedtest on a site: Download 4716kbps Upload 1167kbps Is 4716kbps same as 4.716mbps? Is this mega or milli bytes? Someone tell me if I am correct in my conversion; also what actually does it mean when you hold pointer over icon in system tray and it says

54mbps(is that million??) Thank you. Sorry for my ignorance.
Reply to
Robert
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Essentially yes.

mega as in 1,000,000 or 1,048,576 (depending on how the software is written). milli would be 1/1000. bits, not bytes.

That's megabits as in millions of bits per second, the maximum speed of

802.11g Wi-Fi. Your actual speed may vary.
Reply to
John Navas

4716kbps is the same as 4.71Mbps - typically a big "M" means Mega and a little "m" means milli. You're wondering why you're not getting 54Mbps on your speed test? You're limited by your ISP connection. Your LAN is faster than your internet connection. That's the norm.
Reply to
mad NAT'er

this is the speed of the wireless connection to your router

this is the actual speed of data xfer, much lower than your wireless speed because you don't own a 54Mb/s broadband connection (I assume) and anyway very few sites could upload at that speed.

lower-case m is milli, you want a capital M for mega.

its merely illiterate - it hsould be 54Mbps Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

8 Mbps (megabits per second) = 1 MB/sec (megabytes per second).

So 54Mbps = 6.75MB/sec. Actual throughput on WiFi-g (I believe) is half, so at best, you'll get 3-3.5MB/sec transfer speeds.

Depending on the siting of your clients and router, interference will reduce this rate, as will encryption.

Reply to
__spc__

Reply to
Monica

OK, let's try this again

Just signed up for wireless (the only provider in town) and doing some research on what to expect. I was told by the provider that I could expect downloads of 64KB and connect at 512Kbps. This looks much MUCH slower than the numbers I'm seeing here and certainly doesn't look "high speed" altho it's a lot faster than my current dialup connection of 44Kbps and 4.8KB. Am I reading/calculating this right? If so I sure don't seem to be getting much for $600 startup fee and $49 a month :o Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "__spc__" Newsgroups: alt.internet.wireless Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 12:50 AM Subject: Re: Confused someone please explain this to me----

Reply to
Monica

Is this your only internet option, I see the cox part in your email address, you can't get a cable modem?

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Yes it is and no I can't.

Reply to
Monica

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.